Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Back to Dubai
- - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 02-03-2009 21:02
After 7 months with a broken back (truck wreck x2)I am finially headed back to work in the middle east.  Mission is to finish a 36" x 2.5" thick gas pipeline offshore. Very stict weld criteria, It has been exactly 1 year since we started it and its only 76 k long (lots of repairs and weather down time)  :( wish it was finished, but relish the thought of getting back layin pipe!
  I do not contribute much to this forum but its the first thing I browsed every morning while I have been laid up so I would like to thank you guys for all the entertainment and insite.
Cheers from the jayhawk state,
Tim
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-03-2009 21:08
How's the work in Dubai, I've been thinking of trying to find a gig somewhere overseas for a bit. I love to travel and I'm willing to work just about anywhere.
Parent - - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 02-03-2009 21:13
The work is great there we have a back log of about 6 years they say. LAY PIPE!! The line we are doing is all automatic welding except for those REPAIRS!
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-03-2009 21:26
Tim,
Where at in the Jayhawk State?
JTMcC.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 02-03-2009 22:07
Kansas is the Jayhawk State.  Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-03-2009 22:50 Edited 02-03-2009 22:57
Trust me, I'm well aware that Kansas is the Jayhawk state, I ask WHERE in the Jayhawk state?

JTMcC, everyone in my household has a Jayhawk shirt/sweatshirt/cap. My lovely bride is a Topeka native, I have family all over the state.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 02-03-2009 23:16
Gotcha.  My bad.  I get to go to KS for the first time in a few months for work.  Maybe my future bride will be a Jayhawk.  I will be visiting the Jayhawk Gas Plant in Grant County.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-04-2009 20:58
They grow some great ones there ; )

JTMcC.
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 02-04-2009 19:51
Glad you answered what state, I didn't know what the state was the J hawk state.
Parent - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 02-04-2009 22:29
I am from Hill City, closest place is Hays. made it to Dubai, phisical in the morning, then to work. answer to the other question......... machine beviled, preheat then autoweld with wire. If your interested I will post some pictures when i get on the barge.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-03-2009 21:33
automatic as in a track based GMAW or FCAW torch that completes the joint?  I've seen those on hydraulic booms, seems like a faster way to lay pipe, but they'll always need skilled welders for the repair work and to run the machines
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 02-05-2009 11:33
would love to get on the repair crew. im just a simple pipe /pressure welder, i've done a ton of repairs chasing others welds(sometimes my own as well i must admit). i would just like to make dubai money instead of in town money. any insights to the qualifications and other requirements. thanks
darren
Parent - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 02-07-2009 02:55
the welders are chineese, thai, and arab. spacers are american and austrailian. welding foremans are american, thai, and arabic. inspectors are american,  shaw pipeline services( i think out of oklahoma) the company is american but very multinational. I am still in Dubai attending safety courses. Havent seen an actual american welder over here since the late 70's.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-03-2009 21:49
Glad to see you're getting back at it i know first hand how it feels to lay around practicly helpless and dependant on everyone else good luck out there and becareful. As for the entertainemnt glad to be of some help something has to help you pass the time when you're laid up. Iremember laying there wainting for replies when i was hurt man that sure is a long wait funny thing is i never reached the end of the internet like the guy in the comercials. lol
Parent - By BadgerWelds (*) Date 02-04-2009 03:06
Good luck Tim.. good to hear your getting back to work...
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Back to Dubai