Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of Cobalt Alloys/ Hanes 188
- - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-03-2009 23:45
Anyone have any information in regards to the welding of Hanes 188 or other super alloys.

Looks like we'll be welding up a large section of Hanes 188 which is a superalloy 39 cobat, 22 NI, 22 Cr, 14 W, 3 Fe  would be the majors.
The brief amount of literature I have on it, says it's readily welded both with GTAW and SMAW.  But I haven't found any more specific information or filler material specifications for the alloy.

also if I remember correctly cobalt is considered toxic more so than other metals?

I like my job when everyday we seem to be welding some new alloy for some interesting applicaton.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 02-04-2009 12:24
You'll have to keep a close eye on the parameters of your WPS,because there is a likelyhood of strain-age cracks in the HAZ.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-05-2009 19:16
Ringo any hint as to what sort of parameters or conditions lead to strian-age cracks in These alloys?

And thank you SWP I found a fabrication guide on the haynes website.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 02-11-2009 18:16
It depends on the thickness,as far as heat input goes,as I'm sure you know.Welding in an argon chamber seems to help alot,or using a trail-type gas lens.
Parent - By SWP (**) Date 02-05-2009 14:05
You've looked at the literature on the Haynes website?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of Cobalt Alloys/ Hanes 188