Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / bad gas
- - By 2008642 (*) Date 02-04-2009 05:28
Is there a way of testing shield gas to see if it is contaminated?  I think that on occasion I'm getting some contaminated gas and I don't know if there is a way of checking it.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-04-2009 07:32
Hello Josh, this may sound like a simplistic approach, but short of having some pretty complex and possibly expensive test equipment, I would just change out the bottle and see if I noticed any difference. Arguably, you might end up with the same problem if the other bottle was filled at the same time and from the same batch as the first, yet this might be the easiest and simplist way to tell. A bit or food for thought. If I still had suspicions that the gas wasn't up to snuff, I would request the supplier to provide a new bottle for comparison and be sure to tag the suspect bottle. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 02-04-2009 12:58
I would check for leaks in the line too.  You could have good gas but a small hole in the line that could asperate air in.  Once we had a "Y" fitting on a gas line.  Someone did not properly close one of the valves on 1/2 of the "Y".  They came to me with all sorts of welding nightmares.  Fortunately I immediately saw the problem.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-04-2009 14:10
Hello again Josh, to go along with what OBEWAN said about leaks you should also pay attention to the type of hose that you are using. If you don't have the correct hose you could end up with contamination from the oil that is contained in certain types of hose. Just a bit more to consider. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 2008642 (*) Date 02-04-2009 23:03
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate the help.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 02-05-2009 00:39
   Josh along with the info that Steve and Allan has given you it also could be a breeze coming in from some where or maybe your liner is stop up.  What type of shielding gas are you using?
        MG
Parent - - By 2008642 (*) Date 02-05-2009 02:09
95%Argon 5%CO2
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-05-2009 04:13
I would suspect a breeze as well.  It doesn't take much to interupt good shielding coverage.  Also, make sure your line pressure is not too high.  Hopefully you have an actual flow meter, set it at recommended flow rate for all your other perameters.  If using a pressure gauge, not really acurate, set at about 15 lbs.  If they are too high the gas will cause it's own turbulance that will mess with your weld quality.

I have seen contaminated gas with pure Argon for GTAW, but don't believe I have ever seen it in mixed gases.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Mistakes do happen.

I assume you are welding GMAW in Spray Transfer, maybe Short Circuit.  I have even noticed a problem when too close to the welder and the fan in the unit for cooling made too much air movement in the area where I was working.

Just a little more to think about.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-05-2009 13:35
If I may ask a quesiton to break it down a little more. What makes you think its contaminated? What is it doing?
All of the suggestions made so far a good ones, but if you tell us what it is doing we might be able to narrow it down. And it may not be contamination at all.
Parent - - By 2008642 (*) Date 02-07-2009 00:42 Edited 02-07-2009 00:44
I think it is/was contaminated because we were having a good weld bead with intermittent porosity. The Argon and CO2 are bought in bulk supply and  ran to the machine on seperate lines and we use a mixer at the machine to mix it to the desired level needed. When I disconnected from the mixer and just put a bottle of premixed gas on the welder the problem disappeared without any adjustments being made other than the gas being changed.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-07-2009 15:26
Is the header a open loop or a straight run capped on the end. Do you know if it is big enough to handle the number of stations you have tied into it.
It could very well be e leak in the system or the station could be temporarily starved if multiple stations are drawing on the same header. In either case with a header system and bulk gas your bulk supplier will analyze your system for free. You will need to find a time when the system is not being used and they will pressure test it. They can also tell you if your stations are being starved or not.
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 02-05-2009 13:44
I have noticed myself that if the bottles of bi or try mix sit for a long time, they just dont weld the same as a freash bottle. Often wonderd if maybee the gases seperate a bit or if it was my emagination.
Tom
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 02-05-2009 16:06
I've had equipment, tooling, and gas supplied problems over the years.

Equipment problems include an old leaky hose cracked near the fitting.  It only leaked when it moved into a certain position.  Tooling problems include a time I had a leaky air clamp blowing my gas away in a robotic fixture, only in one spot on the part.

Gas supplied problems was a time I was using a tri-mix gas welding stainless.  I thought my welder was crazy when he complained about "bad gas."  We were using single cylinders.  Our supplier explained the filling process.  They filled the tank with the desired amounts of the different gasses.  Next they lay them on the ground and roll them to mix them.  I don't know if it's true or not.  We've switched to a bulk system.

My theory is that the probability of filling six containers with two different gasses, exactly the same, is small.  The probability of filling six containers with three different gasses is even smaller. 

My experience is that 12 packs are better than single cylinders and that a bulk system is better than 12 packs.  Every time I receive gas it's slightly different.

Keith    
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-09-2009 01:07
if I remember back to chemistry class, I believe gases always reach a complete mix at standard temperatures and pressures.  under this principle the earth's atmosphere doesn't seperate out into areas rich in oxygen or nitrogen. as such you don't need to "mix" gases if they have enough time to reach equilbrium theirselves.

While a single cylinder can get a bad mix or fill of gas, usually when they are emptied too much and atmosphere sucks back in, or moisture; It is fairly rare.  I check everything else first then if all else fails swap out another cylinder.  I've only ever had a bad cylinder once it was a cylinder of nitrogren for cutting with a cnc plasma machine.  We tried everything else then switched out the bottle and it went away. Of the thousands of bottles filled very few of them have enough problems to cause welding problems.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-09-2009 05:01
So You learned that *BEFORE* some A-hole made You roll a cylinder around the parking lot to mix up the gas. :-)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-09-2009 15:28
When I was doing wireline in the oilfield, we would tell the trainees to roll the X-ray source container (a 180 pound Lead Keg) around uphill in the dirt (yes the more uneven the ground is the better) to "help activate the neutrons" before using it!
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 02-10-2009 15:27
Don't forget, It also remixes those spare protons back into the atomic matrix. Well mixed neutrons help you distinguish the 2-T pene hole easier.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / bad gas