Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / New CWI
- - By unclematt (***) Date 02-04-2009 21:00
Hello;
I have recently been recruited for a CWI job in Utah. This will be my first job as a CWI and I am not sure what to expect. The recruiter has told me that it is a stainless pipe job. He did not mention what code it will fall under. He also embellished my experience to the company without my knowledge or consent. I live in Southeast Texas and am set to arrive in Utah Monday morning. I am sure that I could learn the code and the job in a reasonable amount of time, but I don't know what the company is expecting when I arrive. It is not a quick turn-around if I get up there and find out that I am not right for the job. I have never represented myself as more than I am and don't want to start now. I am thinking of turning this job down and waiting on something closer to the house; but it seems that it is hard to get that first foot in the door being a "green" CWI. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day.
Matt
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-04-2009 21:04
Matt,
  Go for it, but be completly honest with them. You passed the test so this is within your capabilities. :-) I know the first one is nerve racking to say the least, but it is just like jumping off the high diveing board the first time. The second time you just do not see what was so hard about it the first time. Go get em!!

BTW what code did you test to?

jrw159
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 02-04-2009 21:17
jrw159;
I tested to API 1104, but I have worked with D1.1 and ASME codes in the shop as a welder. I am excited and nervous about what is instore for me. Its a long way from home but I am going to think of it as a adventure. Thanks for your response.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-04-2009 21:21
Go for it brotha!!  Hell, you may come to find out that you know more about welding then most of the guys you will be dealing with.  If you have questions, get on here and ask away.   I moved 8 hours away from my family to get broke in and start learning about what goes on outside of the hood. ;-)  Someday I will go back hopefully.  I just knew that I had to get experience somewhere before I could start making deals with potential employers back home.  Good luck man!
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 02-04-2009 21:33
Thanks Kix. Hopefully, if everything goes right, this will give me the experience that I need to work closer to home. I have been filling out for every job I could on the internet with no luck until now. I suppose that I will take it and put my best foot forward and learn all that I can. Thanks again.

Matt
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-04-2009 22:17
A stainless pipe job has a high probability of being a B31.3 project. It helps to have a general idea as to which standards you may encounter as well.
ASTM
A999/A999M specification for general requirements for alloy and stainless steel pipe
A312/312M Standard specification for seamless, welded, and heavily cold worked austenitic stainless steel pipes
A358/358M Standard specification for electric-fusion-welded austenitic chromium-nickel stainless steel pipe for High temperature service and general application
A370 Test methods and definitions for mechanical testing of steel products
A380 Standard practice for cleaning, descaling, and passivation of stainless steel parts, equipment, and systems.
E381 Methods of macroetch testing of testing steel bars, billets, blooms and forgings
A 182/182m Standard specification for forged or rolled alloy stainless steel pipe flanges, forged fittings, and valves for high temperature service
ANSI/ASME
B36.19 stainless steel pipe
B31.3 process piping (also understand all the b31 pressure series revolves around piping.)

There are many other related standards and codes, but the ones listed above will give you good starting point for finding the relevant specs for the specific project you are going to. Knowing their titles alone and of their existence is 3/4 of the battle, after that it's simply a matter of applying the same abilities it took to pass the CWI to begin with insofar as looking up the specific information you need. I also suggest you read the forum, there are reams of data on the various codes/standards and terminology for stainless that have been put forth on the forum. More recently was this thread: http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=19598
Make no mistake about this one, understanding the differences between passivation, pickling, and descaling is a must have knowledge for a stainless piping job as well as understanding what solution annealing is and why it's necessary for stainless.

After that it's simply a matter of digging in and learning. Passing the CWI exam is not the end of a long road, but rather the pass card to get you on the road. After that it's up to you and your desire to succeed. You will soon learn that everyday of your career from this point forward will be another day in school. That goes for all of us who look at it from a profession standpoint.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 02-04-2009 22:53
Thanks CWI555;
I was researching stainless pipe jobs on the forum here and saw some information on B31.3, although I didn't read the post that you included in your response. Most of my stainless experience was in plate SS. I have printed the posting that you sent along with your response to my post and will put them to good use. Being that this is my first CWI job, could you recommend any tools that I might want to take with me.  I want to show up ready to work. Also, I am thinking that a laptop computer is normally used quite often. Thanks again. I am sure that I will be visiting here with increasing regularity in the coming weeks. Have a good evening.

Matt
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-04-2009 23:07 Edited 02-04-2009 23:09
hilo gage, cam gage, pit gage(vwac) 6" machinist scale, fillet gauges, the standard fare. A good digital camera and a laptop are also a must if this is a contract. After that I would wait to see the specifics before getting into anything else. One other thing, study up on hoop shrinkage. It's a strong probability to run across it if you have to look at any larger diameter schedule 10s piping. Also remember to study the specs carefully when you get on the job.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 02-04-2009 23:12
Thanks CWI555;
I purchased the fillet gauges and machinist rule today at Grainger. I will try the local welding supply here at home for the others. I appreciate your and the others help.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-05-2009 00:23
Matt,
  When dealing with SS, always use low chloride paint markers, tape, ect. High chloride content has adverse affects on SS.

jrw159
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-05-2009 00:28
unclematt,
Just to add to Geralds recommendations.
Good Mag Lite torch, a couple of different size / length inspection mirrors, multi meter for measuring amps / volts and pyrometer for measuring interpass temperatures. The last two do not need to be anything flash to start with, you can upgrade your gear once the pay packets start rolling in.
There is an amazing amount of knowledge available on this forum - unfortunately Chuck Meadows is no longer with us but if you type his name in the Search Engine you will find a huge amount of information on stainless steel welding.
Don't be afraid to ask questions on this forum, in my early days I used to ask all the time and now with a bit more experience under my belt I am able to assist other newcomers.
Good luck with the assignment,
Shane
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 02-05-2009 00:48
Nice break.  Take advantage of it.  Don't piss anybody off and listen.  Dress warmly and call momma everynight.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 02-05-2009 01:13
Thanks to you all. It appears that I have some shopping to do. I have checked on the temperature in Utah over the past couple of nights. Lows in the single digits and the highs in the 30s. It will be quite a change from SE Texas. Have a good evening.

Matt
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 02-13-2009 12:24
Hello all;
Well, I am headed to Utah this morning. It is a little over 1500 miles and 24 hours. I bought a laptop with wireless wifi card so I will probably be bugging you all quite a bit in the near future. I am not sure what to expect but I packed alot of reference books so I can look up things that may come about. Thanks for the good thoughts and encouragement. Have a good day

Respectfully;
Matt
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-13-2009 19:20
Is that the Proctor and Gamble Bear River City job? If so there are some magnificent mountains to ski and fly fish nearby. Of course the job is going to be out in BFE by Promontory Point (the Golden Spike).
Utah... you have to buy a membership to join a bar, Mixed drinks are metered to one oz. exactly, and you might be able to pick-up an additional wife or two...If Wife #1 won't mind the extra help with the domestic chores...good luck on that sale! Just kidding, the mormon's "officially" abandoned polygamy to gain statehood.
Best of luck in your new job and CWI position.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 02-14-2009 03:44
Hello Superflux;
I have just arrived in Hays, Ks. Yes, it is the P&G site in Bear River City. Have you heard any particulars on this job? I am going in blind. I drove a truck for a little while and passed through Salt Lake and it was beautiful headed out on I-80. I'll be going in that way. I have pretty much gave up drinking so it won't bother me that much. The wife thing is another matter though. I don't have one as of yet so maybe I can drag one back to Texas. Thanks for the response. Have a good evening.

Matt
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 02-16-2009 21:55
Hello all;
I arrived at my new job this morning and I feel a little better. My duties consist of overseeing repairs of structural beams. This work is D1.1 which I have worked with in the shop but I didn't test to it for my CWI. They have a repair procedure already written up. The beams have alot of cope crack issues and some porosity. Question: In the procedure, is states to check the cope for the extent of the crack using Dye Penetrant. I am not certified per ASNT to evaluate the findings. I have told this to my boss. If authorized by my boss, can I perform PT? I have alot of experience with it but never certified. Will they need a Level II for the PT? Thanks for any responses. Have a good day.

Matt
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-16-2009 22:13
It sounds like it is an informational inspection. Unless it is mandated by code/job specs I would think it would be OK for you to perform.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-16-2009 22:21
Matt,
Did you you discuss this lack of credentials with your Supervisor? Does the repair procedure require a level II? Check Contract Docs and specs. Just do as instructed and let your daily report indicate that these inspections were performed under the request and direction of the QA/QC Mgr. Always be factual with reports yet, choose your language carefully. Never accuse (point the blame finger) or provide any more information than neccessary (no opinions!). AND always maintain your "personal log"! This is where you can describe any opinions, or off the wall observations, but include all info from your daily's. DO NOT leave personal log where others may "inadvertently" read them.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 02-16-2009 22:45
Thanks;
In reading the repair specification provided by an third party, it has no mention of using a Level II for PT. I believe that there was another posting about cope cracks in galvanized beams. I will keep a daily log as well as reports to the superintendent about that days findings. Thanks for the response.

Matt
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-17-2009 19:39
Matt, I'm a little late replying to this, but I strongly suggest the use of MT for verifying cope cacks after galvanizing. For PT to work, the crack must be open to the surface, and in my experience there are alot of cracked copes that are not open to the surface nor visible with the naked eye. The galvanzing coating can hide these cracks and fill in the crack so that it is not detectable....but MT will show the flux leakage at the crack even with a good coat of galvanizing.

If you need more help with this let me know, I inspect all of our galavanized material(structural beams/cols) after galvanizing. I have a few pictures here and there of cracks that occurred during galvanizing.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 02-17-2009 22:53 Edited 02-17-2009 22:58
Hello John;
The repair paperwork I have been given requires that the galvanized coating be power brushed off the area in question. In your opinion, would this suffice for PT examination? I have downloaded a couple of articles from the forum suggesting MT. The repair paperwork also calls for drilling a hole at the end of the crack to stop further cracking. Have you used this technique? I understand what you say about the crack filling with galvanizing material. I may have to suggest bringing in a Level II for MT, however; I don't know how the other CWI will take it. Thanks for you response.

Respectfully;
Matt Wilkinson
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-17-2009 23:02
Also time is a consideration. A MT of a cope will take 15 seconds. To perform PT it will take roughly 15 to 25 minutes depending on the procedure.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 02-17-2009 23:25
Thanks Hogan;
When I suggest MT; I will also bring up the time savings that go along with using the MT technique.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-18-2009 03:20
Unclematt,
  I will not speak for Mr. Wright, but I will say that power brushing the coating will only mask over any indications that might be detectable by PT.

jrw159
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 02-18-2009 11:45
Thanks jrw;
I am going to suggest that we use MT and see how that goes. If we work today, I am going to do a more thorough walk through with the boss.

Matt
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-18-2009 12:20 Edited 02-18-2009 12:23
jrw,
You are correct, any time you smear the surface as with the wire brushing, you run the chance of hiding or masking the possible problems.

Matt,
My other question would be, how do you determine where to power brush? Are you planning to remove the galvanizing from every beam cope whether you suspect a problem or not, and how far out from the cope do you plan to evaluate? If so, this seems very costly and time consuming....If I may suggest again that the MT will provide you the detection of cracks without removing any coatings at all = time savings. You may find that not every beam cope will need repairing. Typically when we have these problems, I can unload the trucks and only a portion of the material has cracks, it's not every piece. It appears to be random, and not associated with the workmanship of the copes. Some copes look perfect, yet crack, others you would certainly think that they should crack, but don't....

couple of examples of MT detecting a crack through the galvanizing:

Here is MT through a coat of galvanizing plus three coats of epoxy paint:(this piece skipped the QC inspection because the shop guys didn't "see" anything wrong with it and sent it on to the paint shop, but when I saw it in the paint shop and it was already painted, I had a bad feeling, so I MT'd the rat holes and see what I found ;-) BTW, All of these people had looked it over and no one could see these cracks that were hidden by the galvanizing)

edit: to give some reference with these last pics, the hole spacing on that end clip is 3" c/c.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-18-2009 12:32
I'm no expert but that don't look too good!  :-)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / New CWI