Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filet welds on one side of built up beam
- - By interarch Date 12-27-2001 08:54
In the pre-engineered building industry, continuous filet welding is done using an automatic or semi-automatic process (at both ends of the web) on ONE side of built-up H beams.

Is there a research paper or codal provision which specifically allows this welding practice?

This query has been raised by a Engineering Consultant on one of our jobs.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-28-2001 17:02
This type of design is commonly used for built-up members used in buildings and bridges. I was mildly surprized 6 years ago when I did my first bridge inspection, and noticed all of the girders had single pass fillet welds (of minimal size) on one side of the joint. This bridge has withstood numerous CA earthquakes. Many built up trusses are detailed and fabricated with this detail as well.

I have never seen one that has failed either. I was told by one Engineer several years ago (on his specific project) they are "ductile primary members." I am curious as to your consultants basis for the query. Try contacting www.aisc.org. Please post a response when you get one.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filet welds on one side of built up beam