Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Arc blow
- - By 2008642 (*) Date 02-07-2009 06:14
Has anyone every had an experience with arc blow? If so how did you narrow it down to this and what was it doing to your arc? I had an automated dual torch welder that kept giving me trouble. It started about 2-3 inches after startup and continued for 2-3 inches before stopping. The rest of the weld would look great. This was only happening on one of the welds. I replaced the liners, made sure the tip to work distance was 5/8" on both guns, and made sure the parameters were set on the same settings. We are running with an Accupulse program using Miller Auto Axcess 450's. We found that there was a lot of slag build up on the fixture in the area we were having the trouble, but it wasn't enough to interfere with the gun. I found an arc blow article from Lincoln and it spiked my curiosity. We ended up replacing the part of the fixture with the slag build up on it because operators had been using a small grinder to clean it off and had worn it down a little. The area where the slag built up was about an inch from the actual weld so I'm not sure if the slag was creating a magnetic field that the weld traveled through or not. The piece of the fixture we replace is made out of what appears to be brass or some type of alloy similar to that. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-07-2009 07:35
Hello Josh, do you have the torches directly across from one another? My experiences with this have been much better when the torches are staggered. The magnetics are such when they are directly across from one another that they do indeed induce a magnetic flux that can cause "arc blow". A bit more for you to consider. Best regards, Allan 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Arc blow