Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / lense shades
- - By Fritz T Katt (**) Date 02-07-2009 23:26
I hear that some people think a #10 isn't enough for mig welding, and suggest a #12. What shades do you guys use? I currently use a #10 for everything, mig, tig, and stick.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-08-2009 04:23
   I use a #10 for everything, but I am not a full time welder. Accidentally I have used #8 for stick welding, and it was WAY TOO BRIGHT, accidentally used a #12 once, couldn't see anything.

Any of them protect You from the UV. If You can see what is going on and it is not uncomfortaby bright You have the right shade.
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 02-08-2009 04:55
I use a shade 10 mostly but have a shade 9 in my pancake hood. The lens can have an effect too. I used a weld cool shade 10 and it was way too bright for me but the lincoln supervis lenses in the same shade work good for me. A shade 10 or 12 is what most people are gonna use and prolly mostly use a 10.
Parent - - By Fritz T Katt (**) Date 02-08-2009 13:26
That's a relief, I thought that shades were COMPLETELY standardized, no differences between manufacturers. It was disturbing me that I was killing my eyes mig welding with a #10. Although when I watch a tig weld, it is a bit bright, maybe a #11 would be better.
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 02-08-2009 13:52
This is one of the reasons i love my auto tints, 9 to 12 or 13 depending at the push of a button. :)
Then its just if you like the color of the auto tint, Speedglasses have a green hue much like the standard green filter plates and my jackson has for lack of a better description, a "gold" view to it. It looks like the gold plated filter plates but with just a hint more yellow.
I prefer the jackson, but my adflow is hooked up to a speedglass so i use both.
Not too sure about other electric lenses, most of the cheap ones looked green like the speedglass.
-Clif
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 02-08-2009 16:30
Good rule of thumb is that when you get done welding, you shouldn't see a bright spot in your vision. If you do, I'd suggest that you got to a higher shade till you can't see it anymore. Everybodys eyes are a lil more/less sensitive than others so it depends on the person too.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-08-2009 18:40
Also depends upon how you hold the various guns, rods, etc.  In other words, are you actually looking at the arc, or without seeing much arc are watching the puddle?  If you are somewhat shading the arc and are trying to see where you are in relation to the joint as well as watching the puddle formation, you will not need as dark a lens. 

I also vary my lens depending on outside light sources.  But, generally speaking, I use a 10 and occasionally an 11.  GTAW, GMAW, FCAW, and SMAW.  Will also depend upon the amps being used.  Spray arc GMAW on clean, bright steel will really make you squint,  sometimes a 12 is handy.

My two tin pennies worth, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-09-2009 01:13
what ever gives you enough protection that it doesn't leave you seeing spots or having headaches from  eyestrain.

My AD hood has a knob that can vary anywhere from 9-13 and I generally mig and tig inbetween 10 and 11.

If it's not causing you problems then there's no issue.  Too many variables to say one way or the other. They are your eyes do what you think is neccessary to keep them protected.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-09-2009 18:00
I split the difference, since I weld so seldom any more, and go with a #11.  I drop to a #10 if I'm on the TIG table, unless it's aluminum. :)
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 02-15-2009 15:30
I mostly work with GTAW,SMAW,GMAW,and FCAW. I found that #11 shade works well for me. I see spots if I use #10, and #12 seems a tad bit too dark for me.
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 03-06-2009 01:47
I use a #11 GOLD for everything.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-09-2009 15:43
I use a 10 most of the time and a 12 when I'm doing flux core/ metal core, GMAW 1/16" aluminum wire.  Basically the big amp processes I use a 12 and for 200 amps and uder, I use a 10.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / lense shades