Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Certification questions
- - By Maurice Boone (*) Date 12-29-2001 15:59
Hi everyone,

I am planning to challenge the SCWI or the CWI exam in the next few months. I am a Canadian with a job that requires me to be certified in both US and in Canada. If I am successful in my challenge, I plan to apply for the reciprocity certification in Canada. I have spoken with the AWS certification staff twice and have received conflicting information on process or the qualifications needed. They are sending me out some information but I feel it still will not answer my questions. I spoke to the Canadian Welding Bureau as well and received very little useful information; I don’t know if there is a gray area. I would really appreciate it if anyone in this forum might be able to answer any of the following questions or give me some direction.

1. Is the CWI certification the same as QC1 ?
2. What is the makeup of the SCWI exam, (ie, open book, closed book, report writing, number of parts and number of questions per part, time frame of exam)?
3. What is the makeup of the CWI exam, (ie, open book, closed book, report writing, number of parts and number of questions per part, time frame of exam)?
4. Is there a practical to either the SCWI or CWI exam?
5. Do I supply my own inspection tools for the exam if there is a practical and what might you suggest for tools?
6. What US welding inspectors certification will qualify as a Level 2 Canadian Welding Bureau inspector ?
7. I plan to write the code D1.1, what other codes or books would you suggest as study material?
8. Any suggestions for study material or courses to attend?

I would appreciate any help you can provide with all or any of the above questions. You can also contact me by email at boone@islandtelecom.com.

Maurice Boone
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-30-2001 04:48
1) QC1 is the Document that covers the requirements for certification. This document answers most of your questions.
2) No idea.
3) See QC1. Open Book Code, Practical, Fundamentals
4) See#3
5) Tools are supplied
6) No Idea, Maybe the CWB has a website.
7) The package being sent to you from AWS will let you know what type of information is contained in the test. I studied entirely from Welding Handbook 8th Edition Volume 1 only.
8) Every individual is different. I suggest studying to learn about welding and inspection, not to pass the test. There are many courses and materials available that can help you pass the test. I can only judge the courses based on what I heard from some of the people that took the test after the course. Not all were confident of their performance.

Best Wishes

Gerald Austin
weldinginspectionsvcs.com

Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 12-30-2001 18:51
The SCWI exam is in two parts, open book and closed book. No practical. 2 hours for each part of the exam.
You have to be a CWI for at least 6 years before you can apply for your SCWI.

I think you should wait until you receive your CWI packet before you make any more assumptions about any of the exams. The packet they send out has pretty much all the info you need to know about the exam.
Patience.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 12-30-2001 19:24
You can read the QC1 requirements here:

http://www.aws.org/certification/qc196.html

Marty
Parent - By Maurice Boone (*) Date 01-01-2002 18:19
Hi. Everyone

Thanks for all the great information you have given me. Your efforts in giving me some direction and education are greatly appreciated.

Best wishes for the new year.

Maurice
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Certification questions