Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / CWI certification questions
- - By Maurice Boone (*) Date 12-29-2001 16:02
Hi everyone,

I am planning to challenge the SCWI or the CWI exam in the next few months. I am a Canadian with a job that requires me to be certified in both US and in Canada. If I am successful in my challenge, I plan to apply for the reciprocity certification in Canada. I have spoken with the AWS certification staff twice and have received conflicting information on process or the qualifications needed. They are sending me out some information but I feel it still will not answer my questions. I spoke to the Canadian Welding Bureau as well and received very little useful information; I don’t know if there is a gray area. I would really appreciate it if anyone in this forum might be able to answer any of the following questions or give me some direction.

1. Is the CWI certification the same as QC1 ?
2. What is the makeup of the SCWI exam, (ie, open book, closed book, report writing, number of parts and number of questions per part, time frame of exam)?
3. What is the makeup of the CWI exam, (ie, open book, closed book, report writing, number of parts and number of questions per part, time frame of exam)?
4. Is there a practical to either the SCWI or CWI exam?
5. Do I supply my own inspection tools for the exam if there is a practical and what might you suggest for tools?
6. What US welding inspectors certification will qualify as a Level 2 Canadian Welding Bureau inspector ?
7. I plan to write the code D1.1, what other codes or books would you suggest as study material?
8. Any suggestions for study material or courses to attend?

I would appreciate any help you can provide with all or any of the above questions. You can also contact me by email at boone@islandtelecom.com.

Maurice Boone
Parent - - By weldingstill Date 01-03-2002 04:06
I would recomend you take a class at The Hobart School Of Welding Technology to take the CWI.. Its an great way to learn and review and take the test. The last time I checked with Canada was to call them direct. After you get your CWI, It cost 150 canadian but i am sure its more now. You can only qualify in canada under the code section you took the test (i beleave)
So use the code you wish to use in canada. D1.1,API, or ASME as an example to take the CWI Exam. Some people feel the test is easy, so they say. I found it very conprehensive and a challange. AWS also puts out sample questions and additional information on whats on the test. Hobart is the way to go!!.. Good luck.
Parent - By Maurice Boone (*) Date 01-12-2002 16:31
Great information.
Thanks for your help.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / CWI certification questions