Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Post CWI advice
- - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-10-2009 14:51
Hello all,
I have just tested for my CWI, I do believe that I got knocked it out of the park.  But what's next?  What other certs should I look into?  I have concentrated on the CWI in general for so long, now that its done I need to become obsessed with something else.  ICC, NDE, what would you fine gents suggest as the next step?  Well I guess the next step would be to get a job after I get the nod from Miami, but I am sure there are some valid suggestions for what other certs or training that would be invaluable to get next.
I thank you all in advance.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 02-10-2009 16:36
BL,

First of all, first make sure that you passed the test.
As the field of a CWI is wide and broad, I will suggest that you take it easy for a few years...

Get as much "hands on experience" before moving on to new and exeting things, which could be radiographic interpretation.
Another good cert is API 570/510/580

A "complete" set of NDT certs is always good, helps you understand the basics of each method.

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-10-2009 17:07
If you have the opportunity, get into some NDE like MT and UT, if you inspect structural steel, these methods will be most prevelant. PT just doesn't get used as much, but you can usually get the PT training in the same week as MT, and be done with that.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Post CWI advice