Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Stamp and/or Signature and Cert. Number
- - By David Bryan Date 02-10-2009 19:29
All,

I have been reviewing welder quals in submittal packages from various contractors. I have noticed that a "few" welder certs do not display a CWI stamp and/or name and certification number of the inspector.
Is this a requirement for a AWS welding certs? I would hesitate to accept any without the stamp and/or the information provided by others. 
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-10-2009 20:02
Hi David,
AWS D1.1 does not specify whether the person administering the Welder's Quals has to be a CWI or not, it merely states that the mfg or contractor is responsible for testing their welders per D1.1(see AWS D1.1 paragraph 4.1.1.1 [for WPSs] and 4.1.2.2 [for personnel] for the exact wording).
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-10-2009 21:49
The CWI stamp is not required by AWS D1.1 nor is it the holy grail for WPS's and PQR's.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-10-2009 22:15
I would look into the project requirements for any indication of the need for a CWI stamp or for even a CWI to be involved. In the cases of MOST projects that refer to a code only, there is no need for a CWI for any part of the fabrication. That doesn't mean it is a bad idea. Its just not required.

The purchase order for the product being built, manufactured, repaired etc.. may refer to a project specification or drawings. This would be a place to look for information related to what is required for a project.

In my experience, the specific code of construction is only a small part of what is provided to let me know what is to be done as an inspector.

The term "AWS Welding Certs" is one that could mean many things or nothing. AWS itself does not certify welders.

Also look to your companies or customers quality manual for information on what is required.

Have a good day.

Gerald Austin
Iuka, MS
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Stamp and/or Signature and Cert. Number