Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI certification questions
- - By Maurice Boone (*) Date 12-29-2001 16:03
Hi everyone,

I am planning to challenge the SCWI or the CWI exam in the next few months. I am a Canadian with a job that requires me to be certified in both US and in Canada. If I am successful in my challenge, I plan to apply for the reciprocity certification in Canada. I have spoken with the AWS certification staff twice and have received conflicting information on process or the qualifications needed. They are sending me out some information but I feel it still will not answer my questions. I spoke to the Canadian Welding Bureau as well and received very little useful information; I don’t know if there is a gray area. I would really appreciate it if anyone in this forum might be able to answer any of the following questions or give me some direction.

1. Is the CWI certification the same as QC1 ?
2. What is the makeup of the SCWI exam, (ie, open book, closed book, report writing, number of parts and number of questions per part, time frame of exam)?
3. What is the makeup of the CWI exam, (ie, open book, closed book, report writing, number of parts and number of questions per part, time frame of exam)?
4. Is there a practical to either the SCWI or CWI exam?
5. Do I supply my own inspection tools for the exam if there is a practical and what might you suggest for tools?
6. What US welding inspectors certification will qualify as a Level 2 Canadian Welding Bureau inspector ?
7. I plan to write the code D1.1, what other codes or books would you suggest as study material?
8. Any suggestions for study material or courses to attend?

I would appreciate any help you can provide with all or any of the above questions. You can also contact me by email at boone@islandtelecom.com.

Maurice Boone
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 01-09-2002 13:44
1) QC1 is a document issued by AWS that spells out the requirements you have to fulfill in order to become a CWI. They are not the same.

2) (I don't know what the SCWI test involves.)

3) The CWI exam is 3 part. One section is practical welding knowledge (I think 150 questions closed book), one section is open book using the Code you select when you sign up (AWS D1.1, ASME Section IX, API 1104), the last part is practical inspection and code knowledge. They provide tools, samples for evaluation and a "Code" that must be used while making your evaluation. The "Code" is based on AWS D1.1, but has been changed enough to discourage the student from trying to rely on memory to evaluate the samples provided. The idea is to test you on your ability to pick up a code you are unfamiliar with and be effective as a CWI.

4) Yes, explained above.

5) No, explained above. You should be familar with calipers, micrometer, scales, fillet weld gages, undercut gage, etc.

6) From what I have been led to believe; there is reciprocity between CWB and AWS for CWIs. I don't know what title for a CWB CWI is, so I can't shed much light on this. I have worked with Canadians that have discussed the CWB/AWS reciprocity, but can't remeber the specifics. From the tone of your question it sounds like you are mixing terminology though. A level II inspector generally refers to qualification in accordance with SNT-TC-1A, not AWS.

7) If you decide to set for the AWS CWI exam, I suggest going to the seminar offered by AWS. It is pretty costly but does a decent job of explaining the code (D1.1) and showing you how to effectively use it. Some people decide to take the CWI exam using a different code. It may be easier if you are very familiar with one of the other options, but other codes will not be discussed during the seminar if you choose to attend. One day of the seminar is spent doing practical inspections and NDE review.

8) Opionions vary on the worthiness of the seminar. The cost for it and the exam runs near $1500 US. If you are lucky enough to be sponsored by the company you work for it is great. If you don't have that option consider it carefully. If you are good with codes and have broad knowledge of welding and NDE you may be able to simply attend the last day of the seminar to go over the practical stuff (costs $300 for one day I believe). At any rate, become very familiar with the code you will use for the exam. Pay particular attention to the similarites (yet differences) between PROCEDURE Qualification and PERFORMANCE Qualification. When you take the test it is easy to find what you think is the correct answer only to discover you looked in the wrong section. It also pays to be very familiar with a wide variety of NDE.

Good luck, Charles Hall

Parent - By Maurice Boone (*) Date 01-12-2002 16:39
Great information.
Thanks for your help.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI certification questions