Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI
- - By shawn fadness Date 02-10-2009 21:51
Hello.
The company I work for is in the process of getting its AISC Cert.And they decided that I should become a CWI.Ive welded for over 20yrs so I think I got the exp. part ok.The books I gotten to study are Welding technology workbook,AWS welding Inspection handbook,A.4 standard symbols for welding and brazing and non destructive examination,A3.0standard definitions,and certification for welding inspectors.I'll be going for D1.1 code,I'm slated to take the test mid-summer so I feel I got more enough time to prepare.But what I'm wondering is,do I got the right books?should I be looking at some differant books?

Shawn
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-10-2009 22:18
Shawn,

Welcome to the forum.  Lots of experienced people here to give lots of help.  This question comes up regularly so sometimes gets overlooked.  Can get any of us apathetic after awhile.

If you look through the info on this web site that is on the page with the application form (downloadable) there is a list of suggested reference material.  All the books you have listed are on it plus more.  Some will also be handed out to you at the seminar before the test.  Get them now anyway.  Give them away later, but study now.

You are testing to D1.1.  Do you have a copy of that?  You should become familiar with it before the test.  Keep reading through things that come up in the sections here on 'Certification', 'D1.1', 'Education', and 'Inspections'. You will see lots of questions pertaining to the codes.  Yes, you get a copy of D1.1 at the seminar as well.  But if there is any way to get a copy of it, even if it is a few years old, it will be worth it.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-11-2009 03:47
Shawn,
Welcome and congratulations on your descision and enthusiasm concerning the CWI. Many welders are lulled into a false sense of security because of their numerous years of "experience". It has been my observation that no matter how skilled one may be, without proper Technically acurate training and information, you chances of passing are limited. There is much to be learned and studied towards being successful on the Exam. There are many welders out there that I would be honored if they would let me grind for them if they would teach me their techniques...Yet curiously enough (I find this amazing) many do not know squat about the actual facts and science of Welding.
Please make liberal use of the Search function on this site and you will probably receive more answers to your questions than trying to hammer it out of us. Not wishing to be rude, but most questions have been addressed here repeatedly in the past and there are several Phd. thesis' contained in these pages if you just look. If you can decipher just one of Stephan's posts, you'll ace the exam!

BTW.  The exam aint nuttin...Wait'll ya actually  gotta inspect and write a report...
Where do ya learn how all that works anyhow????

Study hard and good luck.
john
Parent - By shawn fadness Date 02-11-2009 15:42
Thanks for your input guys,I have been looking up stuff on forums here.But I always like to get updated advice from ppl who been there.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI