Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI quick checker ?
- - By zoeconner Date 02-12-2009 00:07
When you type in a # and it says not valid, what does that mean? That person failled?

thanks
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-12-2009 03:36
Where do you get the number to check
Parent - - By zoeconner Date 02-12-2009 11:38
Im just doing the # trick to see if you passed. I see some guys that was in my class and the # was in between two people that did pass.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-12-2009 12:26
I kept hearing people talking about doing that but I never received a number to check.  I know the first 4 numbers are for the date and the last is either a 1 or a 3 for CWIs and 8 for SCWIs but the others I have no idea.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-12-2009 14:55
the 3 numbers are random before the last number!
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-12-2009 15:00
I just got back from taking mine.  Its killing me sitting here waiting.  Maybe I should go to Miami and sit on the beach and wait.  :-)
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-12-2009 18:57
you can start searching using 0903XXX1 where X is random, start at 001,002 etc. then try using a 3 in place of the last 1 and repeat.
If you start seeing names of people in your class, then more than likely all the exams from your class have been graded!
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-12-2009 19:05
Damn, that would be 2000 numbers.  I might as well wait until I get the results from Miami. I just took it Sunday so it might be a while anyway.
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-12-2009 19:30
Bryon - on another post did you say you were taking the seminar/test in Denver? (your post 1/18/09)
If so the Denver test was just last weekend and 0903xxx1 has not happened yet that would be March.
Wait until next week about Feb 18 or so. Miami is getting faster but not that fast.

How to interpret the CWI number to determine the level of certification:
The first four digits of the CWI number are the year and month of original certification. For example, 9603xxxx means that the inspector was certified in March of 1996.
The next three digits of the number are unique and the last digit of the CWI number indicates the level of certification.
A last digit of '8' means that the individual is a Senior Certified Welding Inspector (SCWI).
A last digit of '1' or '3' means that the individual is certified as an AWS Certified Welding Inspector (CWI).
A '2' or '4' means that the individual is certified at the level of Certified Associate Welding Inspector (CAWI).
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-12-2009 19:49
Thanks.  I am nervously, exited about my results.  I had a pretty good time at the seminar, I think it was well worth the money.
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-12-2009 19:59
Sorry I missed you, Galen Altman was your test supervisor on Sunday for single rotation
I supervised the A & C on Saturday, we had 44 or so, thats why Sunday was added
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-12-2009 21:16
Ok, I see. That makes sense.  I will definatly get back out to Denver some time. I'll have to look you up.  Its a pretty nice place and there seems to be some work out their, according to some of the people I talked to.
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-13-2009 18:36
There was, but its slowing down fast. My company has 5 + of its jobs that are schools and funding for 2 of them is being pulled by the state.
Parent - - By zoeconner Date 02-14-2009 14:14
I called and she said she couldnt tell me any info because they havent yet receved my money yet. I told her I was going crazy thinking about it and if she could give me a hint. She said "I cant tell you the GOOD NEWS until they got my money" and laughed. Then I told her thank you and I loved her :)
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 02-15-2009 00:47
yeah i went through the same thing. i did the quik check and seen ppl in my class but not me and i payed. but when i got my scores saying i passed. 2 days later my name popped up on the quik check. even after i had my number. weird i know but talk about alot of neck tension during the wait. lol so you might as well just wait the few weeks. cause when i saw those names and not mine it was very depressing.  but the mail man made it all better with that paper he passed to me. haha
Parent - By TXCWI Date 02-15-2009 22:12
I used the exact same method. The wait was the worst part of the whole thing. My exam was taken in January and my CWI number is 0902xxx1. Just relax give it at least two weeks, and I'm sure the number will pop up. Oh, make sure the number ends in 1 or 3 if you get a 2 or 4 as your last digit you have qualified for CAWI status.  
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-19-2009 13:40
Well fellers, I played the number game yesterday and started to find cats I took the test with.  And lo and behold, I found mine.  I am proud to say I passed!!!!  Now for the hard part, FIND A JOB.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-19-2009 13:50
CONGRATULATIONS!

I suggest looking into industries that you have been working in but don't rule out other industries that may be looking for an entry level inspector.

I hope the best for you. I'm looking for work myself but I am trying to stay at home so I may be inspecting the french fry oil temperature soon !
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-19-2009 14:24
Congrats and good luck!!
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-19-2009 14:57
Congratulations, Good luck to you!
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-19-2009 15:38
I thank you guys and hope to see some of you on the road one day.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 02-19-2009 16:22
Congratulations and good luck.

Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 02-19-2009 20:18
Good job
I havent been in the job market for a few years, but i still get calls now and then from people looking for a CWI. Once your name is out there some work will find you , and you will find some work.
MDK
Parent - - By zoeconner Date 02-19-2009 22:04
Well I found out today and I passed!!! Good luck to everyone. That # I found that said not valid was mine. The cashed the my check and never got recorded.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-20-2009 02:57
Congrats and good luck!! And remember this in the future, because if you do not pay the renewal fee you will have to test again. I have heard (no first hand experiance) of people sending in all the correct documentation, but either did not pay or payed on an account with insufficient fund (at the time) and were not renewed. I do not intend this to make the cert sound like it is based soley off of money, BUT, if the fees are not paid, that can be the sole reason for a failed renewal.I was always told in the past to have my renewal fees set aside in a safe account 1 year previous to my renewal date. Now I am sure if I am mistaken, there are people here that can and will correct.

jrw159:-)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI quick checker ?