Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Transfer punches
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-12-2009 16:28
Any way to make your own?....11/16"

Just need to find the perfect center of these holes and the drilling in the steel isn't perfect, yet we want the wooden treads to match. This is for a stair that someone here at work is building for a late 1700's church building restoration project. He wants to be very particular so that he doesn't mess up his really nice wood treads
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-12-2009 16:40
I ended up using a punch out of our iron worker. This will work perfect as long as we use a soft deadblow hammer or wooden mallet to strike the punch with.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-12-2009 20:26
Or a soft copper hammer. 

Don't you love answering your own questions?  Great idea though.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-12-2009 20:32
Well, I just happened to walk by our Iron worker after I posted this thread and I saw the extra punch/dies laying there in a tray....LOL<lightbulb came on>
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-12-2009 20:38
I have to share with you how particular thus guy is about his work on this project. He built these stairs and wanted to bolt everything together, so he has made good use of a Hogan mag drill, anyway he went shopping for bolts to replicate the rivet look of the rest of the construction. He tried TC bolts first but the button head was alot larger than the rivets, so he ended up using a carriage bolt and ground the square shoulder off so that these bolts so they sit flush and all 1800 of them look very similar to the rivets.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-13-2009 04:11
Some guys really get into their restorations.  Creativity and innovation are some of the real assests of our people.  Tell him 'good luck' on his project.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-13-2009 13:11
The lumber is all recycled from old barns that he has tore down for people over the years. He and his sons find barns that are leaning, or the property owner is about to knock down, they take all the lumber, tin off the roof, rocks from the foundations...anything reuseable, what's not reuseable gets taken to the landfill or recycle place. They remove all of the old nails or any hardware left and plane the lumber on four sides and make it look new again....they have supplied all of the lumber for one of my projects at home in exchange for some welding that I have helped them with. I've enjoyed seeing all that he has done in that old church building. It is in the historical part of downtown and the city is in love with all he has done with the place so far. Lots of cool history all around us if we take the time to research it all out.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-13-2009 15:01
Some folks out here in AZ went back East, bought a bunch of lumber from an old barn, did much the same kind of clean up, then, because of the room they were putting it in did some added planing and cleaning.  When they got done it looked great.  Lost a little with some of the extra cleanup, but still had a nice "old" look to it.

Projects like that take a lot of effort.  Thanks for the run down.  Stories like that interest me.  Our family farm in Oregon had two barns that were over 100 years old when they came down.  The original home was built in mid 1800's.  We lived in it till I was in High School.  Burned down in late 80's.  Wasn't considered 'Historic' because it had been added onto and altered so many times through the years.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Transfer punches