Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Taking the CWB 4-pos test
- - By Nitesky (**) Date 02-13-2009 15:44
Hi,

I am taking the SWB Structural test on St. Valentine's Day first thing in the morning.  Went over all 4 positions last evening and I should be able to pass.  Surprised myself with the quality of my welds.  Big changes have taken place with all the practice time I have been putting in.  Two knowledgeable and dedicated instructors have made a big difference too.  Have learned a lot on this Forum as well.

Won't know if I pass for at least two weeks as the test plates get sent to Winnipeg for X-Ray.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 02-13-2009 16:57
Good Luck eh.
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 02-14-2009 22:28 Edited 02-15-2009 03:15
Thanks.  Did the test this morning.  Visually, things looked good.  The Inspector shipped them so now I have to wait.

Don't bite my nails, quit smoking long ago and drinking even longer ago . . . Gonna be a long wait :(
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 02-15-2009 05:38
Two weeks for results???? Jeez, you might as well drive to Winnipeg yourself and give them your test plates.  T-Bay to Wpg, is that about a 10 hr drive?
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 02-15-2009 19:48 Edited 02-15-2009 19:50
Yeah, but that was according to the first story I was told.
I asked the Inspector yesterday and he said they go to Edmonchuck for X-Ray and then they go to Toronto for reading the X-Rays.  He said the actual shipping is quick but waiting in line for the pics and results takes up a lot of time.
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 02-15-2009 22:18
Thats craaazy man!  I was in a test last Friday here in Edm. for my CWB check test. Started at 7:30 am, finished and out the door with a pass by 10:30am.  If I was welding the F,OH,H, and V like many of the others were that day, they would have their results SAME day!  What is with this CWB???  So you have to wait 2 weeks before you can weld any structural at your shop. I just don't get it.
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 02-16-2009 01:04
I don't get it either but don't know what else to do.

My training was at the Ironworker's Union in the evening two days @ week.  They get the inspector there monthly for tests and the plates are sent out for X-Ray like mine were.

I know some guys that are training at Confederation College and their coupons are bent when they test and then they can know the results the very same day.
Parent - By Nitesky (**) Date 03-04-2009 23:44
Well, got the news today.  Have to re-test on horizontal this Saturday March 7.  Cost me another $125.xx but such is life.
Hey, I feel pretty good having passed three positions on my first try ever.  My welding is getting better every day because of all the practice.
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 03-07-2009 23:53
Well, looks like I did OK.
The inspector thought it should pass so all I have to do is sit and wait for the results :)
Parent - By Nitesky (**) Date 03-30-2009 23:36
Got it!  The Ironworker Union phoned today and told me I passed :)
Can go to town later this week and get my "sheepskin".
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Taking the CWB 4-pos test