Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certs for kids?
- - By zoeconner Date 02-14-2009 14:25
Can someone tell me some good certs that would be good for high school kids. I was told to go with QC-7 but cant find anything on the welds.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-14-2009 19:19
D1.1, unlimited is available to my seniors; SMAW, FCAW-G, and FCAW-S.
Parent - - By zoeconner Date 02-14-2009 20:45
Would that carry with them any were they go?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-15-2009 00:06
Zoe,

Almost nothing travels in the world of welding certs.

Certs from schools or private labs or a former employer will communicate that the welder at one time (certs are dated) performed welds according to code and the welds were inspected to that criteria and found to be acceptable.

So those certs "carry with them" in the sense that a school cert can open doors to people. Once the door is open they will be tested again and again.
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 02-17-2009 21:05 Edited 02-17-2009 21:09
D1.1 section 6.4.3 states that the "inspector shall require requalification if the welder has not used the process for a period exceeding 6 months". And as is stated in 4.1.3.1 "a welders qualification shall be considered as remaining in effect indefinitely unless 1. they have not used the process in 6 months or 2. there is reason to doubt there ability"
      So based on this if the welder can prove that he has used the process in the last 6 months than he/she would still be qualified. Most experienced welders will carry a log book with them almost all the guys I deal with do and those that don't I encourage to get one. They will have either the super or the CWI/inspector sign, date, and write in the process used there book towards the end of the job. That way they can prove to the next inspector that wants to see his certs that they have been using the process for which he/she is qualified. If guys show up and I ask for there certs, if the date is older than 6 months I ask for there book if they have it and it is up too date and they are working to prequalified WPS's or can work to the companies WPS's than they start working, if not they are required to retest. A log book that is legible full of CWI stamps and signatures showing they have been working is proof enough for most any inspector but remember 6.4.2 as well as 4.1.3.1 (2) state that an inspector can require a complete requalification based on quality of work, so having a cert may get you on the job but screw up and you get sent packing certs or not.

That being said most companies will require requalification according to there WPS's when ever they hire someone new. Any welder new to a job should be willing and able to pass the companies welding test which may or may not be that which is called out in D1.1. I would definitely recommend that your students get in the habit of keeping there own records it will save them a lot of headache, money, and time.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-18-2009 13:31
Regardless of a logbook the previous qualifications the process of accepting those qualifications would be performed by the engineer. Or that is how I understand 4.1.2.1 .

Para 4.1.2.2 indicates the responsibility of the qualification is that of the manufacturer or contractor even if "the qualification is conducted by the manufacturer,
Contractor, or an independent testing agency." That doesn't appear to mention qualification by another contractor.

In my opinion acceptance of qualification records from another organization other than a testing lab would not be within the scope of what is allowed by D1.1 unless approved by the engineer.

As you indicated "...most companies will require requalification..." .

Just some thoughts on the subject .

Have a good one

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 02-18-2009 22:25
Most of the guys I deal with go to either the local community collage or to a couple of Local CWI's that have the equipment to perform welder quals and do there tests and these are what I was referring to. I see your point about accepting cert from Jim bob's welding company. Some are pipe welders but most are structural, I do not see a difference between local collage or local CWI's most are stamped by the same guys anyway because the schools call in independent CWI's to issue certs.
It is clearly up to the contractor and/or engineer to accept or not to accept a guys papers. 
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-19-2009 03:39
I think the schools can just fill out the wpqs on thier own if needed. I am sure that with sense programs or accredited test facilities there may be some issues there.

But I see nothing wrong with a school testing a welder and documenting same. Its just what the end users that don't understand the system do with it that leads to problems.

I have considered performing fillet weld tests on some of my students in accordance with testing and acceptance criteria of AWS D1.1 06.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Gerald
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-17-2009 20:24 Edited 02-17-2009 20:29
D1.1 works, simple and basic. But traveling papers only if you have your own business/procedures to test to and then you still would have to test onsite for jobs even as a sub. In my line of work I don't but according to some pipeliners out there they test onsite and your/my papers are worthless.
Parent - By Cameron Callison (*) Date 02-17-2009 20:40
I've been in the pipe trade for over twenty years and would'nt waste time or money on certs. Just be prepared to test each and every time you go to a new job industrially. Certs do carry some pull commercially as in commercial ironworkers and their structural certs. some companies do accept independant state certifications.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-18-2009 13:55
Common tests given in industries I have worked in are

1) 3G/4G FCAW with 71T1 or 7018. Add 2G for ASME situations. 45 Degree Included angle, No root face, 3/16 to 1/4 root opening . BAcking strip.

2) 2" Sched 80 (.218") wall GTAW all the way out or GTAW Root and 2nd pass followed by 7018. 60-75 degree included angle, No root face, 3/32" to 5/32" root opening.

3) 2-3/4" OD x .625 wall GTAW root followed by either 1 pass of GTAW and remainder E7018. You can also use a 2.5" XX for a similar qualification range but GTAW would only be used for the root or 1/16" of deposited metal. Fitup dims similar to above.

4) 6" Sch 80 with 6010 root followed by E7018. Sometimes a hot pass with 6010 is allowed. 60 degree included angle, 3/32" Root Face, 3/32" Root opening etc.

5) 4" Sch 10 SS, 60 Degree Included Angle, 1/16" to 3/32" Root Opening, no root face, purged. Must be able to walk the cup. (This qualification is NOT needed for those who have passed GTAW with Carbon steel however many contractors will do it right after a guy passes a cs test)

Many more variations exist but those would be good starting places. If you were close I could bring you some 6" Sch 80 double ended coupons for $18.00 a set.

Also dont forget a good ole fillet weld break test with Macros. FCAW, GTAW, SMAW, GMAW

Gerald Austin
Parent - By OBrien (***) Date 02-20-2009 00:37
From my experience so far my aws certs have been a helper on the resume.  They show the company that your applying to that you have enough skill to pass a weld test and may put you above others on the call list that have not.  (this is for people just starting out with no feild experience)   My first job in the feild was as a journyman pipe welder.  The company is a pretty good size and that cert. I got from my community college got me in the door and gave me some experience and a paycheck during my vacations from school.  It was alot to take in all at once but I'm really glad that I jumped in the deep end all at once. 

I got to the jobsite and knew nothing but how to weld.  They threw me in with a very good and very experienced fitter who had alot of patince.  He did more than fit, he took his time to teache me what was what and how things worked with package boilers along with how to fit.  I owe him alot, because of him I am confindent on taking a job as a pipe fitter.

The moral to this story is that if you have a kid in school who can weld good enough that you would be comfortable to let him spend his/her money on a cert and belive that they are going to work in the welding feild, let them and help them.  It could help them out alot.

Go with the aws D1.1 unlimited so during there summer vacation they will be able to go on a structural job and get some feild experience and make better money than mowing lawns.  Heck that may be enough to make them hungry enough to further a carrear.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certs for kids?