Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Joining 1/8"Copper and Brass sheetmetal to mild steel
- - By garylemke Date 02-14-2009 17:26
Im fabricating a piece where 1/8" brass and 1/8" copper sheet metal need to be joined to 3/4" solid square mild steel. I called Airgas and they recommended that I use 275 for the filler metal, silver solder or, silicon bronze. I tried using silicon bronze to join the brass to the mild steel, even with low heat, which rendered unfriendly results. As for the 275, Airgas suggested if I were to remove the flux coating it would do the job. Airgas' final recommendation was silver solder. Can anyone recommend the correct filler/s that would join these particular metals together? Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks

Gary
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 02-14-2009 18:52
I have tigged copper pipe to black pipe with silicon-bronze with no problems. I know that is not exactly material you have but the point is the copper to mild steel can be done with S-B.  I have not had occasion to try the brass to steel.

Griff
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-16-2009 13:59
Why don't you try oxyacetylene welding with brass wire? Make sure to dip the end of the wire into borax before welding. 
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - By labib (*) Date 02-19-2009 10:14
It so easy to join copper and brass sheet metal to mild steel (dissimilar metal) by applying MAGNA 66 (High- Silver alloy for Maintenance) self flux.- Using brazing technique - base metale bonding temprature 626C - tensile strength 67000 p.s.i.- welds all metale except white metale.Magna 66 flux coated dissolves oxides, and floats impurities away as well as reducing surface tension. This action enables the molten brazing material to obtain a greater depth of penetration into the grain boundaries of nearly all common metals.
Parent - - By cfrancis (**) Date 03-03-2009 18:25
We did a very similar product several years ago. It was a 1/8" strip of brass to a mild steel block. I found a GMAW wire on "Weld Mold's" website for this exact application. It ran on 100% Ar, and ran very well.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-03-2009 21:30
Call Eutectic Alloys? They make an electrode for every conceivable application.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 03-04-2009 11:59
Braze it.  Use oxygen/acethylene torches and BAg-5 silver (50% silver). 

Weld it.  Use GTAW with 100% Argon and silcon bronze. 

Pre-weld.  I'd clean all surfaces.  I might even grind or sand the steel surface.  Try preheating the steel before attempting to join the thinner pieces.

You could call Harris if you know the exact types of materials you have.   

Good Luck,
Keith
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Joining 1/8"Copper and Brass sheetmetal to mild steel