Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Newbie questions
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 01-02-2002 22:55
Hi folks!

I'm interested in making some furniture for home out of wrought iron and ceramic tiles (end-tables), plus there's some small repair tasks where I believe that I just need to learn to weld. I've read all the material I can find on the Internet about how to get started. (I want to learn this for occasional home use, not a career, btw.) I need some advice from you folks. Questions below:

1) Looks like a small flux-core wire arc welder would be the best choice for a beginner. (Local Lowes has one for about $200.) Sound about right?

2) Are there dangerous gases released from flux-core wire welding? Do I need to worry about ventilation? Obviously, I need to wear a mask and protective (insulated) gloves for welding, but is a ventilator or dust mask really needed?

3) Would the small (I think it was 70-80 amps, runs off 115V normal house current) welder I mentioned in #1 above work well for making some furniture frames out of metal?

4) Would this welder also work well for repairing slightly larger steel or aluminum items, like lawnmower parts, steel-legged work-tables, metal pick-nick table, etc.?

5) Any suggestions on books or other web-sites that may have good educational info for a beginner? It seems this flux-core wire welding is a reasonably new concept, and I really haven't found a lot of info about it on the Web.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 01-03-2002 12:01
Dave, it's nice to have an easy question once in awhile.

1) This welder is for the beginner/hobbiest and I believe you will soon become dissatisfied with it's performance or lack thereof.

2) Yes, yes and only if you can't keep your face out of the smoke.

3) Yes and see #1.

4) See #1 and forget about welding aluminum with this machine.

5) Lincoln Electric will have any and all information you will need. Flux core is not new.

This is just my personal opinion and I am sure others have thier own, but if you are serious about welding, do some more research and buy a better machine.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Parent - - By DaveSisk (**) Date 01-03-2002 14:03
Thank you for the reply, Mike! I found a book specifically on flux core arc welding on www.welding.org (also on www.amazon.com). I think I'll buy that first and educate myself a little more before buying any equipment.

Thanks and regards,
Dave
Parent - By jdillar0 Date 01-04-2002 11:54
http://www.millerwelds.com/main/education/technical_articles/?view=all

Excellant article about what process to choose for home hobbiest.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Newbie questions