Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Essential ASME Code
- - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-16-2009 16:01
What is the bottom line, essential Code books needed in powerplant inspections? 
I have been looking into the ASME codes, and damn there are plenty to choose from not to mention rather pricey.  Especially if an inspector needs many different books.  I hear about 31.1 and 31.3 a lot and Section IX is there more to it?   I assume that it would all depend on what you are inspecting.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 02-16-2009 16:45
BL,

31.1 is the code for power piping....so that is a must!
Besides the applicable codes you also need a good selection of metallurgi and material books.
Powerplants often deals with creep resistant materials, so a basic knowledge about these materials and its behavior is required.

Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-16-2009 17:38
The code books are certainly a must. For power piping at a min, B31.1, Section I, Section IIA, IIB, IIC, Section V, Section IX.
But its not just the code books. ASTM NDE methods need to be in your library, and there are quite a few of those.
You will also need ASTM material standards. Yes the ASME's are the same but the ASTM may be rev'd before they hit ASME.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-16-2009 17:41
BryonLewis,
Here is how I see it in a nutshell:
Piping-
Lets start with natural gas pipeline. Applicable code API 1104 (cross-country pipelines). This covers lines ever where but in plants (petrochemical, nuke, pharmaceutical, pulp and paper, etc, etc)
once in a plant the codes change to 31.3 is used for any hazardous product (petro, caustic, ect..)
If used for power generation (steam) then 31.1
For inspection, repair, re-rating, or alterations it's API 570
Tanks-
For new construction of tanks it would be API 650 
653 for inspection, repair, or alteration,  and re-rating
Pressure vessels-
For new construction ASME B and PV code
For inspection, repair, re-rating API 510
Boilers-
ASME B and PV code(s) dependent on type new construction
NBIC for maintenance
I'm sure someone will correct me if anything is incorrect. hope tis helps.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-16-2009 18:33
That's one hell of a nutshell, Hogan!!!  You covered the API 1104 for gas pipelines.  What would apply for the compressor stations?  Are there regulations in 1104 that covers that or would that be under 31.1.  I have heard about the TransCanada Keystone pipeline.  Apparantly it is coming through Kansas and Missouri this year.  I am still awaiting my CWI results and my API 1104 codebook.  But all in all if and when I get my CWI results I am researching opportunities for employment.

I thank yous guys for your responeses.
Parent - By raptor34 (**) Date 02-16-2009 20:48
Compressor stations can be covered under either B 31.3 or API 1104, it just depends on the company. For instanse, BP does B 31.3 on compressors and well locations. XTO does B 31.3 on compressors and 1104 on well locations and then you hit companies like Samson Resources who do 1104 for compressors and locations. 1104 says it is for gas and oil transmition lines and related facilities. But on the other hand compressor stations typically have some sort of process equiptment weather it be a dehydrator or separators.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 02-17-2009 05:58
We can add somemore references :

ASME SEC I  BPVC Section I - Rules for Construction of Power Boilers
API STD 560  Fired Heaters for General Refinery Services
ASME PTC 4  Fire Steam Generators
AMCA 210  Laboratory Methods of Testing Fans for Rating
ASME B1.20.1  Pipe Threads, General Purpose (Inch)
EJMA 2               Standards of the Expansion Joint Manufacturers Association, Inc.
ASTM C 680  Standard Practice for Determination of Heat Gain or Loss and the Surface Temperatures of Insulated Pipe and Equipment Systems by the Use of a Computer Program
NFPA 85  Boiler and Combustion Systems Hazards Code
SSPC SP 7  Joint Surface Preparation Standard Brush-Off Blast Cleaning (NACE NO. 4)
Fluid Sealing Association "Metallic Gasketing Technical Handbook"
Fluid Sealing Association "Ducting Systems Non-Metallic Expansion Joint Technical Handbook"
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-17-2009 14:26
Don't forget B31.8.
The B31.8 Code covers the design, fabrication, installation, inspection, testing, and other safety aspects of operation and maintenance of gas transmission and distribution systems, including gas pipelines, gas compressor stations, gas metering and regulation stations, gas mains, and service lines up to the outlet of the customer's meter set assembly. The scope of this Code includes  gas transmission and gathering pipelines, including appurtenances, that are installed offshore for the purpose of transporting gas from production facilities to onshore locations; gas storage equipment of the closed pipe type that is fabricated or forged from pipe or fabricated from pipe and fittings, and gas storage lines.

Gas metering and regulation stations are the key elements. The break point between B31.3 and API 1104 is B31.8. From the plant or storage facility, typically from the valve that leads to the meter/etc is the realm of B31.8. After the meter it defaults to API 1104. I've witnessed a number of inspectors get hosed by trying to apply either 31.3 or 1104 to this segment of line.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-17-2009 14:38
Dang, I thought AWS was proud of their codes.  To inspect ASME you gotta fork up mad money to get started with just the codes.  I don't feel bad now for paying what I did for D1.1 then.  ASME I guess is a whole other world.  So I would assume that API 1104 and 31.8 are the most common 2 Codes in cross country gas pipelines. 
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 02-17-2009 20:14
Don't forget the Code of Federal Regulations. And then in which state you live, the Public Service Commision regulations. For instance, in the state where I work, we must conform to the Michigan Gas Safety Standards. Do a google for free download. Within these you will be directed to which Code/Standard applies to each circumstance. If you read the MGSS part 192, you will see requirements for welder and procedure qualifications among other things.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-17-2009 15:30
I was sure others would add to my condensed version
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-17-2009 15:37
I would wait until I had the job and then buy the code sections that applied to the specific project. If you are working for a company that is responsible for the inspections, check to see what code section they have on hand before spending money on standards, specifications, and code sections you may not need.

One important thing to remember is that the codes in force at the time the contract was signed are the applicable editions for construction (unless otherwise noted by the project specifications). In other words, the contract could have been signed several years ago. The design may not yet be completed. Fabrication may or may not have begun, etc. You have to have the right editions of the codes and standards, not simply the latest in publication.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Essential ASME Code