Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How to join Silver and Copper
- - By studwelder Date 02-18-2009 02:33
This might end up in the brazing section but, I've been asked to join Copper plate to a silver block and I am looking for advice. The silver block contains around 10% graphite, and the copper is maybe 15mm, plate. This is a new one to me and I welcome any help. The only thing I've done similar to this is sweating copper pipe, I guess. Not sure if this could be tigged or if brazing would be the better option. I imagine a silver mix filler would be used in either case, but again not sure. Thanks in advance
Parent - - By studwelder Date 02-23-2009 17:53
maybe a point in the right direction then?
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 02-24-2009 12:58
You could look up what process and filler metals to use in AWS B2.2 Brazing, or, you might visit Harris' website.  They make a lot of brazing/welding filler metals.  They have a live "chat" feature where you ask a series of questions.

I've used it.  You tell them exactly what your planning to do, and they tell you exactly how and what to use.

You might be able to GTAW your part using silicon bronze with argon.

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - By labib (*) Date 02-25-2009 07:59
Is it production welding or maintenance welding?-In production welding alloys and electrodes use where the user can control all or most of the variables. They have clean new metal and ideal conditions including jugs and fixtures and positioners to make the welding easeir. In maitenance welding the maitenance man welds different metal following days. The metals are usually dirty and oily and they seldom know the analysis of the base metal. In this case i suppose it is maintenance welding for this application i recommend to apply MAGNA 66F( SIVER BRAZING ALLOY SPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR MAINTENANCE APPLICATION). MAGNA 66F silver brazing alloy does a superb job on all metals such as stainless steel, monel, copper, brass, bronze and practically all others except for white metals such as zinc.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How to join Silver and Copper