Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ICBO Certification
- - By iesca (**) Date 01-03-2002 05:44
At the present time I am an AWS SCWI and, I am interested to earn
an ICBO Structural Steel and Welding Special Insp. Certification.

I would be very grateful if someone inform me about the certification requirements and process and some certification bodies or institutes.

Thank you in advance,
H. Garcia.

Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 01-03-2002 17:39
I rarely use my ICBO certification these days, I depend on my SCWI. Why do you want to do special inspection? Lots of work, but $$ is substantially less than what I earn with my SCWI. You also have to buy lots of books for the test:
D1.1
D1.3
D1.4
IBC
AISC-ASD Manual

You must also be proficient at plan reading, you get a full size set of drawings at the exam. You can always tell those not prepared, they rifle through the drawings frantically during the test. There are lot's of places that prepare you for this test. Basically, they sell you the Q + A's.

Did I mention you'll have to pay various jurisdictions their fees to inspect on their turf which equates to more $$$. 1 ICBO license can become 10.
Parent - - By iesca (**) Date 01-03-2002 19:25
Dear DGXL:

Thank you very much for your response.
I want to do such special certification because one of my clients is going to fabricate two structures (silencer systems for the power
industry) and, a requirement of his customer is that the welding inspection must be perfomed by a AWS CWI and a ICBO Inspector.

I live at San Luis Potosi, Mexico and, my client is based at this city. Such client has been looking for a ICBO inspector and to date
he has had dificulties to find him/her.

Hector Garcia.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 01-03-2002 21:21
Mr Garcia,
Don't know of any training in your part of the world for this exam. It is also (starting) to become an industry standard to require both certifications for structures. There are numerous posts on this subject also in this forum. I tend to agree with the requirment for both certifications when it comes to buildings or architectural structures.

I know some of the labs in the U.S. send ICBO inspectors down South to perform inspections. May be a niche in the market for you! ($$). I travel but I'm not cheap. Please let me know how you do.

Good Luck,
DGXL, SCWI
Parent - By THS-CWI (*) Date 01-10-2002 02:15
M.Garcia'
Try contacting ICBO at www.ICBO.org--perhaps you can find more info there.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ICBO Certification