Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / About tendency of slag
- - By viettq (*) Date 02-18-2009 08:30
Hi everybody,

Somebody helps me!

Why do tendency of slags always rise to the surface of weld joints? This is a simple question, but I can not explain to my welders clearly about it.

Thanks & best regards
viet.tq
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-18-2009 13:04
This may be over simplification......Think about making veggie soup in a pot at home, all of the heavy stuff (potatoes and carrots)goes to the bottom, the cooked onions(light stuff) float to the top. When the puddle is molten, the heavy stuff(metal) goes to the bottom, the slag(lighter stuff) floats out on top. But...this doesn't explain out of position welds....
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-18-2009 17:50
The lighter stuff always floats, even in the overhead position. That's why it's easier to weld overhead if you're in the Southern Hemisphere and flat in the Northern Hemisphere! Sorry John, I couldn't resist! :)

I've got nothing on this one! Where's all our experts that formulate fluxes for SMAW and FCAW?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-18-2009 21:58 Edited 02-18-2009 22:00
Here we go.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned:
"the tendency of slags always to rise to the surface of welded joints"

Slags for SMAW and FCAW are non-metallic.  When the weld metal freezes the slag is pushed (ejected) from the liquid solution. (just as the gasses are ejected from the liquid solution)

The reason the slag goes to the surface of an overhead weld (the bottom) is that it is being pushed out of the metal. Gravity is not a factor. 

The liquid weld metal is in a free solution with the slag, the non-metallic slag does part of it's job combining with impurities and oxygen from the liquid solution and then is expelled by the force of the freezing metal (nucliation and dendrite growth).

So while the slag appears to be floating atop the weld puddle even in the overhead position, it is in reality being pushed away from the weld and base metal where it quickly freezes and does other parts of its job (holding the bead in place to stop gravity from pulling drips of hot metal and controlling the coolng rate.)
Parent - By viettq (*) Date 02-19-2009 00:25
Dear Lawrence,

Thank you very much indeed! I understand now.

Best Regards
viet.tq
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-21-2009 21:38
Ok,

This is one of those things I can't stop thinking about... Kinda like Monk.

After a little round table discussion with the Physics teacher and our Metallurgist there needs to be a little technical tweak to my original thoughts.

When the slag and molten metal are together in the weld pool.. They are  notin solution.. They are emulsified.

So rather than a solution the slag and weld metal behave like oil and water and seperate for those reasons.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / About tendency of slag