Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Section IX PQR?
- - By flamin (**) Date 02-18-2009 21:38
Hey guys~

I have a PQR here that was qualified about a year ago to section IX. (I'm not too familiar with SecIX). But I want to qualify one of my welding personelto the same WPS and PQR. It was made on 1/2" 6061-T6, CJP VeeGroove, no backing, 2G & 3G, GTAW. The PQR shows a min. preheat of 70 deg F, and a max interpass temp. of 350 deg F. My question is, where would I find the info that states those guide lines, as far as heat input goes? Would those have been actual temps recorded from the test pieces when the qualification was done originally?

Thanks
Jason
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-18-2009 21:54
The PQR is supposed to be a record of the actual data that was recorded at the time of the qualification. The WPS is instructions to the welder as to how to perform the weld. The WPS can, and most often is, extended parameters built from the PQR, as long as the parameters are in comliance with the code of qualification.
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 02-20-2009 16:28
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I don't do these qualifications very often. So I need a refresher from time to time.

Jason
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 02-21-2009 16:10
70* sounds like standard room temp.  The interpass also sounds like a standard cool down temp.

The PQR would have these being the actual while the WPS would have something like 70* and 350* plus or minus the tolerance per the code.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Section IX PQR?