Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Repairing "U" Stamped Vessels
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 02-19-2009 12:25
Question for the ASME folks who hang around here:
To make repairs on high pressure vessels that have been in service for years but now require a welded modification to its pressure boundary AND that have been mfg'ed IAW Section VIII Div 1, what requirements must now be met?  Obviously a qualified and applicable WPS. But what about a repair stamp?     I am looking for a specific chapter, verse and code section reference that tells me that I must have such a stamp and how do I/we get one IF required? Also what inspection requirements shall apply.
Thanks if you can help, I don't seem to have the correct literature or knowledge on hand.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-19-2009 13:29
Individual Jurisdictions will have laws governing repairs to pressure vessels. In most cases they refer to the NBIC and the organization performing the repairs MUST have an "R" stamp.

I think the petroleum industry is different (suprise suprise) and may have some exceptions.

The NBIC may be able to provide a list of R stamp holders in your area. Any of the stamp holders can also let you know what must be done.

http://www.nationalboard.org/ may be something to look through.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-19-2009 18:07
There is no particular chapter and verse. There are many. But in a nutshell you have to have the current ASME and NBIC certifications. You need to make sure you alteration is code compliant. You have to involve the AI. You have to receive your materials in accordance with a manual procedure that complies with code requirements. You have to have MTR's. A Qualified procedure. A qualified welder. And all of this will be reviewed by the AI. You need to acquire the original data sheet/s and develope a new one for your work. You need to have a drawing of the work involved. And all of this is reviewed by the AI.
I'm sure that I have forgotten something.
If the original vessel is registered with NBIC you will need to register your alteration and establish a registration number, and these numbers need to be maintained in sequence with NBIC or they will remind you. You need to have calculations for alterations completed by an Engineer exprienced in pressure vessels.
I know I'm forgetting something.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-20-2009 05:07
The rules may have changed or maybe I didnt understand them before but I don't beliwve you have to have ASME stamps to repair or even alter a pressure vessel. Just an R stamp.

All the other info is good and agian, I may be wrong.

Have a good one.

gerald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-20-2009 16:19
Your right. R stamp only if all your doing is repairs.
Parent - By 464238 (**) Date 03-11-2009 20:19
go to www.nationalboard.org and download the synopsis. in the National board synopsis there may be more specific requirements as to what state that you are performing the repair. As for your question about obtaining your National Board "R" stamp. it is a pretty in depth process and takes some time and $. you will have to go through a joint review including building a vessel and a review of your quality control program.

Regards,

TB
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Repairing "U" Stamped Vessels