Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Qualification Requirements
- - By ejohn90472 Date 02-23-2009 00:08
I have a currenty project that has numerous Structural Steel brace frames whose tube steel (A500 Grade B) columns are to be full penetration welded (with backing) to 1-3/8" flat base plates (A36) or embedded WT's of various sizes in the horizontal position.

My question is what test is the Welder required to perform to qualify for this type of weld?

Reviewing AWS D1.1 Chapter 4 under 4.18.1.1 it states production welding positions that a welder is qualified shall be in conformance with Table 4.8. In Table 4.8 you are referred to a 6GR Welder Qualification test and includes foot notes 6 & 8. However, 4.26 CJP Groove Welds for Tubular Connections item (3) you are directed to use Figure 4.25 which refers to a plate test in the flat position.

The Commentary C4.12 refers you to the 6GR qualification test.

Has anyone had a similar condition? If so - how did you treat it?

Is the Welder required to qualify to a 6GR qualificaiton for a tubular 6"x6"x3/8" HSS column to a 1-3/8" (A36) base plate per AWS D1.1? Thank you
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-23-2009 18:25
What positions will be encountered in the field?  A 6GR with will qualifiy your man for any position encountered in the field whether it be on pipe or plate.  If you're only going to be welding in the horizantal position, then a differnet test can be given.  Can you pick your joint configuration out in sec three of D1.1 so we can see what you got going on here.  I'm pretty sure you're describing a beveled pipe welded to a flat piece of plate with a backing ring around the inside of the pipe kind of like joint TC-U4b except with a backing strip and no backgouge on page 96 of D1.1(2006)
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 02-23-2009 23:42
John,
Unfortunately I am at home for a long weekend and as such don't have my code book with me, but if I remember right it should be a 6GR test coupled with the corner macroetch test for square tubulars.  Sorry but I can't give you the code references off the top of my head.
Mankenberg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Qualification Requirements