Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / got E71T-8 cert. ?? qualified for dual shield also??
- - By 123weld (*) Date 02-23-2009 04:52
     I have certifications for innershield 232 which is a E 71T-8 wire.      What am i all qualified to weld with in the wire family.        Does it cover me welding on structural I-beams with dual shield?    thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-23-2009 14:30
As you will see in many responses: what welding code or standard are you working to? It can make a difference.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 123weld (*) Date 02-25-2009 08:28
     Thanks, I'm not familiar w/ the different standards.     Public schools might be the biggest thing I'd weld at.    So, figure, the roof over there heads.   Would my papers be good?      Fortunatly I have'nt run into any questions w/ my stick certs.     Anyone know?     Or know of examples of when I would or wouldnt be covered?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-25-2009 13:20
Per D1.1-2004 (it was sitting on top of the pile of codes and standards), FCAW is FCAW with or without the use of shielding gas. You can qualify with a selfshielded FCAW or a gas shielded FCAW and be good to go with either.

I would hope that the employer would have a WPS available for the welder to refer to when setting up for work on the job site. If not, where is the CWI? He should reject any work completed without the required WPS and let the engineer sort out the mess. The nastier it gets, the less likely it will happen on the next job. Nothing gets the contractor's attention like a sizable bill or charge from the engineer or owner. Cut-out are real attention getters!

If it sounds like I have little sympathy for the contractor you are soooo right. They are supposed to be the experts. That's why they are being paid. They are being paid to be familiar with the project specifications and the code requirements. The employer is charged with providing the proper direction and information to the welder. If the welder isn't being provided with the proper information, the work may not be done properly and it needs to be addressed.

Any CWI that accepts substandard or questionable work is not doing his job or he is over reaching his responsibilities and authority as a CWI. The engineer is the only individual given the authority by the building codes to accept work that isn't in accordance with the applicable code. The contractor isn't given that authority, nor is the CWI.

A welder's responsibility is to follow the work instructions provided by the employer. If he or she can't do that, they need to go work elsewhere. If they question the work instructions they should be all means make their questions known and attempt to have the changes necessary made. Until then, their job is to follow the direction provided by the employer. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 02-25-2009 13:41
123weld,
The way it works in commercial construction (schools) and most everything else is; you have contract documents (Specifications) that specify what is required to build that project. It details the materials used, codes, quality requirements, visual or RT or UT etc., paint type and color, bolt grades, soil compaction percentage, installation details, etc. You mention structural welding. My current job spec section 05090 requires all welding and welders to be qualified to AWS D1.1 structural welding code-steel. Your certification should be based on a WPS, welding procedure specification. That WPS must be qualified. It can be a prequalified procedure. The procedures, certifications, etc. are submitted to the EOR, Engineer of Record for review. IF approved, then you are qualified to weld on the project.

Here is an example:
1.6.2  Before assigning any welder, welding operator, or tacker to work under this Contract, the contractor shall submit the names of the welders, welding operators, and tackers to be employed, and certification that each individual is qualified as specified. The certification shall state the type of welding and positions for which the welder, welding perator, or tacker is qualified, the code and procedure under which the individual is qualified, the date qualified, the name of the firm and poerson certifying the qualification tests. ...

This is a typical spec section but every job has their own specs and may be very different from the last job or the next one.

If you are working for a company, the project manager or designee usually does the submittals. If you are an independent contractor you normally are required to give your certs, WPS to the customer, general contractor or inspector before welding for review. It doesn't always happen that way but that is the way it is suppose to work or close to it.

Hope that helps some
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / got E71T-8 cert. ?? qualified for dual shield also??