Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Where too?
- - By jane123 Date 02-23-2009 18:13 Edited 02-23-2009 18:15
im coming to an end with my welding .... will recieve welding diploma after summer semester. I've been out to our local port that is to become of my place after school. A tig pipe welder..as excited as i was...im not so excited to go to this compnay  (it's a small town). It's a successful young company, but i feel is not as strict with saftey measurements. They've had a few females and now one left.. (which shouldnt matter, yet they mention).There has been a few accidents, ...the company across the road is a lot strict (which has earn the rep.). I never really thought about where exactly, till now. I understand you have to suck it up and get your foot in the door before you get your pick. As a journey-lady, i want to grow with a company that values/expects as much. Gave serious though: what do i want? Though it was my current welding, but realized, the closer it's coming to an end, the more im nervous and less satisfy picturing me at this company.I pictured me welding..but where? I've changed my part time(waitress) job during school, and realized how much your environment affects you. I didnt mind waiting tables, but couldnt stand the boss(ways), then decided to wait some where else. Realized it's not the work, but the difference...im at a place where i get respected and given the chance to improve. As with welding, i want a company that wants/willing to take me in and give me a chance to grow.

I went to the advance manufacturing day..there were a few companys(laser,sheet,..etc) sharing/offering tours of their plant for graduating students,so fourth.... thought about being open to exploring my opition. My campus doesnt offer fab. welding(would be neat), seems very interesting. In the mean time, any suggestion in how to get my foot in the door with other companies,etc(intership,tours,..etc) would be greatly appreciated? Im attending skills usa this year, hope it'll give me some options... In the mean time, i'll learn as much as i can and expect to be tested there... spending spring break researching local jobs/companies...:-)
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-27-2009 18:19
First off, congrats on your impending graduation. 

If you're concerned about working for a place that has a bad safety rep, remember that sometimes rumors get out of hand.  Also remember that a large part of what sets the tone for a culture of safety in a shop is the attitude of the workers.  If you always do what's required, i.e. wear your ppe, set up and strike down equipment properly, etc. then you will always be okay.  Like any industrial setting, keep your head on a swivel and aware of your surroundings at all times.  Sometimes you'll have to force yourself to do the right thing; peer pressure is a terrible way to wind up in the hospital or worse.

To whoever rated the original post with one diamond:  Why give a question a bad rating?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Where too?