Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Class A Weld Repair
- - By SammyShine (**) Date 02-25-2009 21:10
We are currently welding a Job to a D17.1 Class A weld requiremnt on 2" x 2" x 3/8 wall aluminum tubing.

After x-ray we found some problems and need to do repair. The customer is aware of this. What are the requiements for repair on a Class A weld?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-25-2009 21:38
Sammy,

Start By looking at the entirity of Section 5.19 (rework)  and 5.20 (repair)

Also Review the Commentary C5.19 for data on the scope of engineering and process control involvement requiured for rework.
Parent - - By SammyShine (**) Date 02-25-2009 21:52
Thank you fro your quick reply...The customer is here form Texas (were in CA) and we were hopeing to have answers for them within an hour (geez). As soon as I get this post off I will start reading...I was looking in section 7 which is incorrect.

Has anyone come across this situation before...in our experince Repair cannot be done?
Parent - - By SammyShine (**) Date 02-25-2009 22:02
Lawrence or anyone,

Have you ever encountered this situation before? Since Engineer Authority "customer" calls all the shots...Have you ever been able to do repair on a Class A weld that did not meet inspection criteria.

My boss is asking.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-25-2009 22:34 Edited 02-25-2009 22:37
Sammy,

Of course repair can be done, and are done every day.. As long as it is within the scope of the procedures. Now there are exceptions of course, but one shot deals are rather uncommon.

Every weld you do should have a welding procedure specification (WPS) and each WPS should have a procedure qualification record (PQR) to back it up... Your WPS's and PQR's should have specific repair instructions that detail what is to be done that include defect limitations.  

If your facility is doing the welds in conformance with D17 than you should have qualified these fabrication procedures and included repair/rework into the scope of the PQR's and WPS's as they apply to specific componant design specifications, details and scope.

You should have class 1 doccuments for repair that refer to the specific part number of your component, and that class 1 doccument should have plainly stated criteria as to limitations of defects that are repairable or not repairable.

Your own in house doccumentation should cover this and be informed by the vendors standard practice manual.

Who qualified your in house procedures?  They should be the first person you approach on this issue.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Class A Weld Repair