Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME P-Number Group Number & Procedure Qualification
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 02-25-2009 21:35
Searched before I posted but my answer didn't come up:

I have a WPS qualified for P-1 Group 1 to P-1 Group 1 ( A106 Grade B to A106 Grade B) pipe joint.

Code language doesn't seem to distinguish  weld procedure qualification or welder qualification
applicability to different group numbers.
So if I qualified a procedure based on P-1 Group 1 to a P-1 Group 1 pipe joint, may I also use
that same procedure for a P-1 Group 1 to a P-1 Group 2 joint? Such as welding an SA234 WPC
fitting to a A106 Grade B pipe?   (the SA234 WPC is a P-1 Group 2 material).

Same question applied to the welder qualification.

Thankyou for helping.
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 02-25-2009 21:53
You didn't mention your welding process but it is likely that 403.5 applies as a supplimental essential variable. 

See the explanation of supplimental essential variables and how they apply to notch toughness testing requirements.  If you do not have to comply to any notch toughness testing requirements per your manufacturing code, then the current PQR (P-1 Group 1 to P1 Group 1) will support your WPS for welding the P-1 group 1 to the P-1 group 2 material.

The change is not an essential variable concern for welder qualification work.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME P-Number Group Number & Procedure Qualification