Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Class A Weld Rework
- - By SammyShine (**) Date 02-25-2009 22:15
We have performed weling on a 2" square tubing requiring a CLASS A weld per D17.1. After dye penetrant acceptance - it was x-rayed and some of the welds did not pass inspection.

D17.1  5.19.2 Allows area rework/correction to the root...but we can't get to the root because it's tubing. Has anyone forund a way to get to the Root of a Tube??

I'm not sure I have asked this corrextly...but I would live to be able to have ab answer for the Company President.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-25-2009 22:45
5.19.2  states that   "...inadequate penetration or incomplete fusion may be corrected by welding from the root side..."

My opinion is that they are telling you that a joint that was welded from one side may be flipped over and repaired if it is convenient.  It is not saying that it "shall" be repair welded from the root side.

If you can make the repair from the top side and the result meets acceptence criteria I see no problem.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-26-2009 06:07
In boiler repair, they perform welding on the root of small schedule tubing by cutting "windows" out of the pipe. This would allow you to have access to the root  but defeats the purpose of what you are trying to achieve as now you have to weld around the perimeter of the window.

Normally, small diameter pipe or tubing would be repaired by gouging or grinding out the defective weld area, and performing a new Complete penetration weld.  Is this not possible for some reason?
Parent - By SammyShine (**) Date 02-26-2009 23:25
Thank you both for your responses.

The reason grinding out the unacceptable welds is not practical is they would be VERY difficult to get to. The frame has many cross sections. When removing a weld will cause getting to ONE particular weld difficult.

We have come up with a werl repair procedure w/ our customer
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Class A Weld Rework