Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LPG verses Acetelyne : pros/cons
- - By Rz Date 01-11-2002 08:43
Im about to purchase a kit and was considering LPG mainly because of the refill costs being much lower then acetelyne.
I havent used LPG enough to have a good understanding of its downfalls or advantages , so i was just looking for some basic input on this.
I will mostly be cutting up to 5/8 plate.

Thanks.
Peter.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-14-2002 06:25
Lpg preheats slower than acetylene but once you get going it cuts fine. 5/8 stock is no problem. If you have to pierce a lot of holes it's a bit of a bother but if you turn up a little chip with a chisel to preheat on it works ok for that also. If you want to gas weld you will want acetylene- lpg wil braze ok though.
Regards
Bill
Parent - By Tim B Date 01-17-2002 18:45
Peter,

Lots of info and opinions were posted on this subject recently on yesterdays tractors, tool talk bulleting board at:

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=toolt&th=24269
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-05-2002 20:10
Rz,
if your application is just for hobby, go ahead and buy an LPG kit because of the advantages you've pointed out. Now, if it's an industrial one, either a big industry or a medium sized workshop, go to acetylene because LPG has a great disadvantage for industrial applications: is too low and inefficient.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LPG verses Acetelyne : pros/cons