Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / A514 T1 to A514 T1
- - By Russell Frederi Date 02-27-2009 13:00
I think I'm grasping for straws but here's my dilemma.  We have a tool that we will be welding on & I am in the process of writing a procedure qualification. The engineer on the project had assured me that there would be just some tacking of spacers (used only for assembly) but no full welds. Now we are putting the elevator together & bam about 2 days of welding.  It is all fillet welds but I have no procedure. I even kicked around the option of using a prequalification of WPS in AWS D1.1 but I can see that may be a problem because it only goes up to 90k. If any one would be able to insight me with some information about welding T1 to itself it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Russell
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-27-2009 14:10
A514 T-1 can not be used in the prequalified category so you will have to refer to sec 4 of AWS D1.1 for further instruction.  I'm sure your company is going to like the 48 hour waiting period before inspection can begin as well. ;-)  If you just need to qualify fillet welds, I'm pretty sure you can just weld up some fillets give them the (MACRO etch and break test).  If you're going to get into groove welds, then a groove weld will need to be done with bends and tensiles.  Someone else can confirm that for me in here I'm sure.
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 02-28-2009 14:38
T1 to T1 is not difficult, but it has some differences from the usual welding of Q&T HSLA steels. The biggest is that no PWHT is recommended. Heat input needs to monitored closely. Preheat is ambient (50 F) to about 200F depending on thickness. Consumables are usually in the 110 tensile class - E11018, E111T1-K3, etc. for matching welds. Interpass temperatures shouldn't exceed about 400F. Use stringers, no weaves. Mittal steel used to have a very informative .pdf that had tables and all the information needed, but since Mittal has been taken over, the link has disappeared. I think I still have a copy of it at work, if I do, I'll put it a link up for download. There are a few more or less useful links around, but carefully consider their recommendations, for example Lincoln recommends stress relief by peening - generally not favored by many engineering departments.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/20faq.asp#11
http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWelding/ArcWelding_Article.cfm?ID=1636

This link contains most the information that is in the Mittal document, but navigation is painful:

http://www.tpub.com/content/misc_manuals_1/TB-9-2510-242-40/TB-9-2510-242-400061.htm

As mentioned in the thread, AWS D1.1 requires a 48 hold on NDE after welding.
Parent - By Russell Frederi Date 03-02-2009 12:31
Thanks for the info guys, I have done some reading & have rough drafted my WPS qulification. I should get it done in a coulple days. Thanks again Russell
Parent - - By Russell Frederi Date 03-20-2009 16:11
Well guys i ran the procedure and all is well... But i have another question

I know why you preform charpys but what or where do i compare the averages too.
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 03-21-2009 09:38
Charpy requirements are an engineering decision. Some codes have charpy requirements, like DNV E101, which are specified within the code. Most times the customer sets the requirement, requiring charpies at a certain temperature and force according to fitness for service criteria. If the contract documents don't specify a code that sets charpy requirements and the customer hasn't set any then they are off the table. As for A514 if you get 30 to 40 ft/lbs at -20F for fluxcore, you're doing about as well as can be expected.
Parent - By cfrancis (**) Date 03-23-2009 17:28
We weld a Ton of T-1 to itself.   Yes,,make sure you wait the 48hr inspection wait period. Keep your innerpass to 400 deg F Max.  We weld it will both solid wire ER100S-G and MetalCore E-110C-G,,,usually never have an issue with either.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / A514 T1 to A514 T1