Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 6G pipe test
- - By alan domagala (**) Date 02-28-2009 00:44
Ill be taking a 6G carbon steel 4 in. sch. 40, 6010 root 7018 fill test and not really being a "pipe guy", im hoping i could get some "tricks of the trade". Theres a pretty big raise for me if i pass this test, so i want to make sure i nail it. Ill be thankfull for any info you guys would like to share, thanks!
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 02-28-2009 00:58
Practice!  4 inch sched 40 with 60/70 sucks IMO.  The root pretty much fills it but grind the root than fill one pass with 70 and cap with 70 using 2 beads unless you need to chase underucut than you can use three if there narrow but no more than three.  Use 3/32 70 wire and 1/8 60 wire watch your heat input.  REMEMBER THE ANGLE CHANGES PRETTY QUICKLY ON 4 INCH SO PAY ATTENTION TO THAT.  Is it going to be x-rayed, bent, pulled, or just visual?  Don't forget to quarter it.  Don't know what I forgot but those are some of the basic things to remember.  Do you have any specific questions? 
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 02-28-2009 05:01
Yah, Obrien's right, this weld spec is not an efficient method. Four passes (root, hot/fill, and two beads to cap) to fill a smallish sched. 40 pipe. So the trick, really, is to get just the right fill on the fill pass. If you overfill, you'll have trouble placing your first cap bead on the lower bevel - you'll be all over the place. So leave some bevel showing to give you something to follow. For root I'd use 3/32 or more for gap and 3/32 for land. Grinding the root for a clean 7018 hot pass takes practice. You don't want to leave slag, but you don't want to burn through, either. You want enough heat on the hot pass to pass the bend test, but you, once again, don't want to burn through. I'd want to practice enough so that you can do it in the field once you get the job.
Parent - - By alan domagala (**) Date 02-28-2009 17:49
Thanks for the info, that helps alot. I have my choice of 1/8 or 3/32 6010 for the root, what do you think would be best and about what amps? By the way its going to be bent, 2 face, 2 root.
Parent - By pipehog (**) Date 02-28-2009 18:32
I like 1/8 6010 for  root ,1/8 gap nickel land, turn the heat down just enough to keyhole(depends on the machine ). Keep flame inside the pipe.IF THE FLAME COMES TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE PIPE THEN THE ROOT WILL BE UNDERFILL AND NOGOOD. REMEMBER KEEP THE FLAME ON THE INSIDE.I  like to use small circles and sometimes a slight weave on the root (makes a nice bead inside) 3/32 7018 for the fill and cap
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 03-01-2009 02:34
I take it your running up hill.  Try the 80 ish range for your root and about 85 ish or so for your hot and cap.   When grinding the root out lay the bevels back a little more so you have a little room to slightly weave on your hot pass and have room for two cap passes.  Nothing major just so it takes the bevel back a few degrees evenly.  We did this alot in school and it was the hardest bend test I ever had to pass but once it clicks you can feel comfortable with anything bigger.  Just my experience.
Parent - By Inspectorous (*) Date 03-01-2009 03:32
Since it's sch. 40 you may want to verify if a two bead cap is acceptable. Most 6g tests on 4" sch. 40 I have seen only accept a single bead cap.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 03-01-2009 04:33 Edited 03-02-2009 01:25
alan,
feather your tacks so you get good tie ins. On the bottom half bury the tip of the rod in the bevel so you get full penetration and not IP or internal undercut. You do not need to bury the rod as much on the top half, gravity will help. If you start to lose your keyhole you may need to increase the amperage or if possible, your whipping technique. If the keyhole gets too large, take larger/longer whips or turn amperage down. The keyhole is the key. Get it?

I use 1/8" but 3/32" works well too. More of a personal preference if production is not the primary concern. Just adjust the gap and amps accordingly.
Your machine may not be calibrated so don't rely too much on numbers but for the root pass w/ 1/8" about 75 amps with nickel land and 3/32" opening. 80-90 for fill and cap. Careful not to over grind the root pass or you might blow through. After the root, just keep it clean. No undercut that might trap slag. No porosity.

As mentioned, ask if they want a 1 or 2 bead cap. Better safe than sorry.

Try to relax, and good luck with it. Let us know how it went.
Parent - - By alan domagala (**) Date 03-01-2009 18:24
Thanks alot for all the good info, I knew I could count on you guys! Ill be taking the test this week and Ill let you know how I do. I got a pretty big raise riding on this test so I HAVE to pass it!!
Parent - By OBrien (***) Date 03-01-2009 23:48
Well just be relaxed.  I find that pressure on the welder is what causes alot of people to bust out.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-02-2009 01:38
A.D.   Every cert. test I ever did on 4" I used 1/8 6010 for the root & 3/32 7018 for the fill & cap. Whats nice about this is once you have your heat "dialed in" for the 1/8 6010 it's the same for the lo-hy and REMEMBER to grind out any humps and wire wheel after each pass if allowed. Pretty basic test ,great foot in door test to pipe welding field. ( old timers on here like Big K. ,JTMcC, Cactus,or Rick H. could probably do this test asleep)  Good luck     PS GO STEELERS in the the hunt for #7.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 6G pipe test