Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / NGI-ESW with fusable guide shoes
- - By Bert70 (*) Date 03-02-2009 12:28
Anyone know of current or recent research regarding NGI-ESW using fusable guide shoes? We have already been in contact with ArcMatic and Portland State.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-03-2009 21:47
fusable guide *shoes*?  Like the cooling shoes on the outside of the weld?
Parent - - By Bert70 (*) Date 03-04-2009 09:31
Yes, molding/guide/retention shoes.

In particular I am looking for means of accounting for the increased dilution rate that occurs when changing from non-fusable shoes to fusable shoes.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-04-2009 15:45
Has PSU done anything with that?  As far as I knew, they only did the copper water-cooled shoes. 

Are you looking for ESW-NG in particular, or any ESW process with fusible shoes?

Why do you want to use fusible shoes?  Would they stay in place afterwards?  (At this point, I can't help you; I'm just curious.)

Hg
Parent - - By Bert70 (*) Date 03-04-2009 19:49
Hg,
As far as I know all or most lab testing has been with water-cooled copper shoes.

Yes, Narrow Gap in particular. We already have succesful results joining members with fusable (steel in this case) shoes using standard ESW. As some of you know (see older thread on NGI-ESW) the notch toughness is not so great with standard ESW.

Yes, they would remain in place afterward.
- Bert
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-04-2009 21:14
My guess is that fusible shoes would not be in keeping with the NGI philosphy.  The idea is to cool quickly in order to minimize grain size and thus increase toughness.  I would think that a mere heat sink as opposed to active cooling would not provide adequate cooling to maintain the toughness.

Why do you want the fusible shoes?  Is it just because you don't want to mess with water cooling?

Hg
Parent - By Bert70 (*) Date 03-05-2009 11:54
Correct, the shoes provide part of the solution to improved toughness... however in boxed sections they are not a reasonable option.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-04-2009 15:54
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have been looking for any videos online that show the setup and operation of ESW and have not been able to find anything.  I think, from what I have read that it is a gnarly process and I want to see it in action.  Anyone know of any links?  Thanks.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-04-2009 16:44
Byron,
This website has some videos of this process, in action.

http://arcmatic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=53
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-04-2009 17:00
I thought that there would be a lot more fumes than what was there.  That looked like some thick wire and multiples, I thought it would be like a chimney.  Very interesting process.  Thanks for the link.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-04-2009 17:32
It is hot....but the verticle rise is amazing to me no matter what the thickness, just pour the metal in there.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-04-2009 16:42
I was going to mention Bill Bong, but I see that you have already contacted ArcMatic.
Parent - By Bert70 (*) Date 03-04-2009 20:07
Thank you John. Yes, we have been in contact.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / NGI-ESW with fusable guide shoes