Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where to find ornamental iron/steel?
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 01-13-2002 13:05
As I mentioned in the post below, I want to make some end-tables that have a wrought-iron looking frame (the tops will be simple 18" x 18" ceramic tiles from Lowes or Home Depot). I have a materials question. Assuming I will be using a light-duty flux core arc welder to make the frames, I believe I'll need to use forged steel (correct?). So, here are the questions:

1) Where can I buy small quantities of reasonably thin angle stock made of forged steel that looks like so-called "wrought iron".

OR

2) Can I just use the shinier forged steel angle stock that I can buy from Lowes or Home Depot, then finish it somehow to look like wrought iron? If so, how do I go about finishing it to look like wrought iron?

I guess the best question is where (hopefully on the internet) can I buy ornamental steel stock (that already looks like "wrough iron" to use in the table construction?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 01-13-2002 17:40
There is an acid that is applied to make the average chunk of steel look "aged". A clear coat to preserve the finish is sometimes applied. This stuff is used regularly by the ornamental shops. Shouldn't be hard to find.
Parent - By DaveSisk (**) Date 01-13-2002 22:26
Thanks for the reply!

Regards,
Dave
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where to find ornamental iron/steel?