Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME verses D1.1 ^G Qualification
- - By david bean (**) Date 03-04-2009 18:23
Hey guys anyone have info about ASME standards?  I need to qualify some welders in the 6G position, open root  6010 root 7018 hot pass, for pressurized pipe.  I could qualify 6G to D1.1 for structural pipe but pressure pipe should be to ASME? is this correct?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-04-2009 19:56
Yes, it is, except for oil and gas pipelines (which are also pressurized piping, I don't know what's your case), in which case the applicable standard is API 1104.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-05-2009 01:59
David; You must have a WPS qualified to ASME IX to do the welding.  For the welder's, basically 4 bend tests required (each welder) for the mechanical testing.  Documentation is required.
Parent - - By david bean (**) Date 03-05-2009 22:40
OK, so basically i need to learn a little more about ASME IX. Does this code work with D1.1 or API 1104? are there any provision to help me out? I have D1.1, but it sounds like i need to purchase API and ASME. So what changes between a 6G test to D1.1 and a 6G test to API or ASME?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-05-2009 23:09
I insist. ASME IX covers all of pressure piping except oil and gas pipelines (which are also pressure piping), that are covered by API 1004.
AWS D1.1 is intended for structural steel, API 1104 is intended for oil and gas pipelines and ASME IX is intended for vessels, either atmospheric (API 650, for example) or pressure (ASME I -boilers- and VIII -unfired-) and piping other than oil and gas pipelines. Therefore, each standard looks at qualification from a different standpoint.
A welder qualified under API 1104 IS NOT automatically qualified to weld pressure vessels nor structural steel, same as a welder qualified under AWS D1.1 IS NOT automatically qualified to weld pressure vessels.
Of course, good engineering sense must govern in all circumstances. Back in my days of erector engineer I'd been in charge of the construction of a natural gas compressing station in a remote location of Argentina (South America), 75 miles away from the nearest town. All of the welders were qualified by API 1104. When it came to make a few welds on the compressor building structural steel and weld the pipe supports, the client and the contractor (me) agreed to let our API 1104 qualified welders to do the job.
By the way, all of the standards we're talking about are not available for download on the internet, they must be bought from the editors (and they're rather expensive)
Giovanni S. Crisi

Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 03-06-2009 17:13
You might also want to get a copy of the ANSI B31.1 Power Piping Code or the ANSI B31.3 Process Piping Code (whichever is applicable to your pipe work)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME verses D1.1 ^G Qualification