Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Water PIpe inspected to D1.1 ?
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-06-2009 04:43
I have a friend who is working on a project in which they are welding some water pipe that has been specified on the Dwgs to be in accordance with D1.1. Has anybody run into this before ? This is 24" pipe.

Seems like a flag to me but I have not been in the water pipe industry. It leaves some questions regarding root contour/concavity acceptance criteria.

Anyway, is this typical for a water line ? I suggested contacting the engineer to get clarification on acceptance criteria before signing a bunch of inspection reports certifying that the welds were acceptable to D1.1. Perfectly acceptable (B31.x)  pipe roots may not be acceptable to D1.1.

What are your thoughts ?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-06-2009 05:54 Edited 03-06-2009 06:00
Just wondering as to why it would not fall under AWWA code???

Is the 24" pipe holding up a corner of the Sewer Treatment Plant??  lol

Scrutinizing your post and the given information... The EOR could have performed the calcs and finds this criteria (D1.1) is sufficient and possibly superior to what AWWA would require.
Back 30 years ago, when I was a "Tankie", water storage tanks were just X-rayed at the "T" intersections and "Diesel tested" at the floor to wall fillets. This was a tank for the Women's Pennitentiary in Colorado...just glad I never had to drink from that spiggot!

Definately curious to hear further comments and posts concerning this "crossing of codes" and jurisdictions.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-06-2009 12:29
Thats what I had  thought also regarding AWWA. I suggested questioning the engineer or reviewing any additional specs . He had already reviewed the spec but hasn't contacted anyone. The guy is pretty sharp but this was his 1st venture into water pipe.

The acceptance criteria may very well have been fine but one area of concern for me would be that there is no reference to root contour and in some cases these are concave. This is acceptable by many piping codes however is NOT addressed by D1.1 .  For him to accept a root pass with internal concavity of 1/32" would be outside of what is allowed by D1.1.

Maybe the AWWA codes don't address this either. But I would have some concerns and request some clarification. 
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 03-06-2009 12:59
Could he possibly be referring to the welders qualification, where a plate test will qualify welding on pipe over 24" od?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-06-2009 14:40
Back in my days working at a testing lab I ran into this on occasion. Tanks and/or lines were often called out to be built to AWWA and inspected to AWS. It appeared to me to be more common with engineering firms that designed to AISC vs ASME.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-07-2009 16:08
Here is something to think about on water tanks. Everybody see those Golf Ball water tanks?
Think they send a port-a-pottie to the top while they are building them?
Ever wonder where the tankies relieve themselves?
Oh yea, they climb down.
BABRt's
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-10-2009 22:57
That's known as the "Tankies LEAK Test!"
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 03-06-2009 18:50
AWWA C200 requires 100% visual inspection per AWS D1.1 Table 6.1 for statically loaded nontubular connections.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-06-2009 19:54
Is any reference made to internal root surfaces ? If not, nearly any concavity would be rejectable.

Is amount of inspection indicated ? He may just need to stop going inside :)
Parent - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 03-06-2009 20:40
Having  worked in  the  water Industry   for  18  years  I  can  give  some  insight -

The  agency  that  I work  for  basicly  uses  ASME  Section  IX  as a qualification  guideline
and  we  have  had excelent  results   (fingers   crossed )   on   ~  350  MILES  of large diameter  transmission  lines

We  do  have  some  of  the  supplementary  impact   addenda  built  in  -

The  " push "  for  AWS  started  when people  who  didn't  know very much   started saying  "Wow , these  ASME  standards  are loose "
and  some  people  very marginally  educated  in  AWS  D 1.1   said , " lets  use  the prequalified procedures as  they  have
reasonable  limits  on  the amps, volts , and  travel  speed   and  AWS D 1.1  requires  qualification for every position  used.  "

This  is  how  AWS D 1.1  got  to  be  used  in  AWWA  & other  water  work  when  in  the  very  preface  to  AWS  D 1.1 it is
EMPHATICALLY  (my emphasis ) stated  "  that  this  document  is  not  applicable  to  pressure vessels and  pressure  piping ".

So  as  you can  see  through  ignorance  something  is  being  used  because  it  is   "  easy "   -
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 03-11-2009 16:47
Yeah, I have seen some of this phenomenon.  I call it the Lazy Draftsman Syndrome.  I have seen drawings from a very respected aerospace giant for an aluminum weldment which specifies the welding to D1.1.  Try going over that with a government QAR.
Parent - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 03-11-2009 19:12
I too  am  an  aerospace  industry refugee  and  they  didn't  care  what they  put  down as long  as  it  was a recognized standard  -
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-12-2009 20:08
We had the same issue come up on some coal piping on a coal fired plant. It was 24" and 30". When we asked why D1.1, we were told that was the code the design engineers used. So I guess it was specified on your Dwgs to be in accordance with D1.1 because that is the code they designed the pipe to and did all of their design calcs to. It was very interesting to see my inspectors go to the field with their Table 6.1 to inspect piping.

Jim
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 03-13-2009 23:35
But  the preface  to  D 1.1  says  it  IS  NOT   APPLICABLE  TO   PIPING  !      !
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-14-2009 13:50
I think the hang up is with the terms "pressure piping" that term is generaly used to describe code boundry. It's not meant to mean all piping under pressure.  I don't believe D1.1 1.1.1 is ment to mean any piping. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. In our case with the coal piping it is gravity fead.

Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Water PIpe inspected to D1.1 ?