Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Cleaning Aluminum
- - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 03-06-2009 14:07
Anyone have some good safe alternatives to pre-weld clean Aluminum, other then rubbing alcohol?  Welders will be welding in a confined space and I really don't want anyone to die, call me old fashioned.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-06-2009 18:54
If your looking for fluid type cleaners they all have drawbacks... Some are flammable, some have health risks when inhaled or thru the skin, some have both.

Say more about the confined space, the code your working to and the criteria the welds will be inspected to.
Parent - - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 03-06-2009 19:38
Code is D15.1 see also for acceptance criteria.  And the cleaning will be done in a seperate station away from the welding.  But there was a concern raised about repair welding when finished that residual Isopryol alcohol fumes would build up and possibly combust. 
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-06-2009 21:20
Well ya learn something every day.

I diddn't even know that AWS D15.1 Railroad welding specification covered anything beside steel  
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-06-2009 23:20
Don't know how it is in confined space use, but I have generally used meriatic acid.  Just don't spill it.  Imagine there are other safety concerns for usage in your application as well.  If the proper diluted rate is supplied before entering confined space, I usually don't notice a fume problem, but have never had it tested or checked with safety (OSHA, etc) regs to see if anything is already in writing.

I know those who promote Acetone.  Definitely a flammability issue.  Don't think that would meet your needs.

Just my personal two tin pennies worth.  Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-07-2009 05:56
   What are You trying to remove? alcohol is not a powerfull degreaser, acetone is a little stronger, but still not a great degreaser and niether one will remove aluminum oxide. Acid cleaners will remove the oxides, but if there is much grease or oil present, a detergent or caustic wash should be used first. The oxides re form rather quickly, cleaning should be done immediatly before welding.

There have been a few other threads on this subject, You might do a search for them.
Parent - - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 03-09-2009 11:58
Thank you all for your input.  Current procedure calls for a wipe down with rubbing alcohol, and the to be brushed with a SS brush, just the area to be welded, an it isn't much.  I think the current process will be fine with a cleaning station before it is moved into the welding station.  That should give it plenty of time to evaporate.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 03-10-2009 17:09
Have you looked at any of the aqueous degreasers, such as daraclean?  It works quite well, as long as you give it a good water rinse.  :)  Otherwise I would ask why even bother using a chemical cleaning process?  Hit the oxide layer off with a wire brush and go to town.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 03-09-2009 14:12
Read the selected product's MSDS sheet and the label. If, there is any chloride or "Chlor" in the product, it will become phosgene gas (which is "DEADLY") when exposed to an arc. Let's be safe out there.
Parent - By jstasney (*) Date 07-03-2009 13:51
AND, whatever you do, don't use spray BrakeCleen.
The dreaded 'Chlor' is in that too.
If fact, no solvents of any kind, period.

This guy nearly died using this stuff as a cleaner, read up:

The article about that phosgene gas episode is at this link:

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Parent - By jstasney (*) Date 07-03-2009 13:46
Water based degreasers like Simple Green, mixed strong, scrubbed in with scotch brite, rinsed clean with clear water, blow dried with compressed air...works for me.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Cleaning Aluminum