Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advantages of Inverter Welders
- - By Tim B Date 01-16-2002 18:02
I am trying to decided on what type welder I am going to invest in for home/hobby use. For all around versitility, I'm now leaning toward gas cutting/welding. However, for most of my needs, I think stick welding would be best (e.g., making implements for my tractor, and truck), or at least faster and easier. However, my domestic elec. service is just 100 amps, and it looks like most of the arc welders I would want (e.g., Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt) will draw up to 45 to 50 amps, I'm a little concerned about overloading the service.

From the little I know about inverter welders (e.g., Miller MaxStar) they seem to be more efficient as far as the power they draw. Is this generally true? Also, they seem to have other advantages such as size/weight, versitility in terms of stick/tig/mig set ups, and smoother welding. Would you all advise a hobbiest to start with such a machine if he doesn't mind spending the extra money, and do you feel that these advantages may be worth the extra money?

Thanks.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 01-16-2002 20:11
There have been numerous posts on this very subject. All the major equipment manufacturers now have inverters, and there are some companies that make nothing but this type of power supply.

I have to admit, the Thermal Arc inverter I use is great for hobby type projects. 10 years ago if it didn't say Miller or Lincoln, I never would have considered that piece of equipment. Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, Hobart, etc, all make great little inverters that you can carry in one hand, or with a carrying strap (their that small!), but pack a lot of punch for the $. Many options available as well. Get one with auto-link (adusts for line voltage automatically) and make up some adapters for the different outlets. With regards to line power requirements, most inverters use substantially less input power than a transformer type of power supply.

I think feedback from owners/users of this equipment is your best shot as opposed to getting "advice" from the manufacturers as to which equipment best suits your needs...

Check some of the previous post's in the forum for more info.
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 01-16-2002 20:21
Question along the same line.

I do alot of welding in my home shop and would like to get something with power to spare. Recently I ran across just the machine I have been looking for at a cost (next to nothing) which fits my budget. Only one problem....its a 3 phase unit and I only have single phase power. I have been told that there is a way convert or transform my single phase to 3 phase using a 10 HP motor. Has anyone out there had experience doing this and if so where can I find more information. I would also like to run other 3 phase equipment as well...ie ....lathe, mills....ect.

The welder that i'm looking at is a Hobart 500 which does MIG, Tig , SMAW, ect.

any ideas?

thanks
kam
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 01-16-2002 21:34
Hey Kam,
I haven't heard of anyone doing that in quite a while (even thought the power companies do it everyday). There is a way to convert single phase to three phase using the method you mentioned and I have that here someplace, just never used it is all. I'll bet before I find what your looking for in my junk pile, someone will pop up with your answer, if not, I'll post it ASAP.

Or, you can spend the money and buy a new/used transformer. I know someone who cannibalized an abandoned building and he found just what your looking for - it still works to this day. (Any vacant buildings in your neighborhood?)

By the way, with respect to inverters, many operate on single or three phase and again, most will switch automatically (be sure to check first that there is not a set of links, jumpers or taps within the unit that have to be manually switched.) You'll enjoy even greater $ savings if you run your equipment on 3 phase power.
Parent - By FITA Marine Date 01-17-2002 01:49
I have recently purchased a Miller Maxstar 200 DX inverter and am extremely happy with it. It is a DC only machine, so if aluminum is in your plans, it might not be the machine for you. The Auto link feature is excellent allowing use in any number of places, with out the trouble of finding a specific voltage.
Parent - By awill4wd (**) Date 01-17-2002 11:53
Although our new inverter machine is definitely not for the home hobbyist, we find we are having much less of a problem with tripping circuit breakers in an industrial enviroment.
We are using a 300amp OTC hybrid wave inverter machine and I have to say it's the best machine I've ever used.
Our 5 year old syncrowave 250 is forever tripping the breakers on high AC current draws but the new OTC hasn't done it once.
Regards Andrew.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advantages of Inverter Welders