Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Mild steel flange to cast iron mani?
- - By vwjoegolf Date 03-09-2009 00:27
i used er70 first which has surface crack along center clean that out and then used 308 and it looks good. Will it hold? It had good pen. and looked nice but will the composition be good enough for service, or will the weld fail due to wrong filler i guess is what i am asking.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-09-2009 12:59
Let us know when you find out. ;-)  I always use 309L for cast to mild and cast to cast and I can tell you it always works.  Never tried 308L, so I can't tell you about any succes stories using it.  Someone else on here might have tried it once or twice and had good results.  Using ER70S-X will more then likely always crack on you in time and should never be used on cast.  Depending on it's application, you may be in the clear with the 308L as long as the proper welding procedure was used with preheat/post heat and all that goods stuff.  At least you can say," so far so good". lol
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-11-2009 00:07
I used E-308 (SMAW) to place a 3/8" thick carbon steel patch on an engine block after the rod broke, slung around and took a chunk out just above the oil pan. I tacked it in 3 spots and then welded about 1" at a time, then peened with an 8 oz. ball peen hammer, let cool to bare hand touch, continued on, no post weld heat treatment.
Rebuilt engine and ran another 100K miles with only a wet oily spot, ie. pan gasket never took a proper seal ther and I chose not  to use silicone /permatex, etc.

My local Welding Supplier gave me the deer in the headlight glazed stare when I asked for 309. He did inform me that 308 is a "good stainless"! Whatever that is supposed to mean????
Anyway, That's my "qualified procedure", your welcome to use it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Mild steel flange to cast iron mani?