Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Masking tape for Tig is a PIA - favorite alternatives?
- - By Stringer (***) Date 03-09-2009 01:09
I hate the masking tape covering the joint opening. It's like arts and crafts and it's messy. When it melts and I'm not looking I lose my purge somewhere. I would be grateful for any other ways to approach small purging jobs.
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 03-09-2009 01:18
I tested for a company once that provided a metal tape.  Don't know who makes it or where to get it but it left no residue, didn't melt, and worked great.  Maybe someone knows what I'm talking about and where to get it because it was really nice and would like to get a roll or two for myself.
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 03-09-2009 01:40
ALUMINUM FOIL WORKS
Parent - By FieldHand80 (*) Date 03-09-2009 01:39
Have the company you are working for invest in some painters paper or rice paper, it will help with the wide openings.But the best way to help with your problem is, to wrap the weld. run that tape around that weld. I mean unless your paying for the tape...who cares, waste that stuff. After about three times around. that should be good enough. then take a hacksaw blade and slice open one of your quarters weld it and do the same to the other. when your get your 4 quarters done, get all the tape off, wire wheel that pipe to get rid of all the sticky junk and cut out your tacks....do it again....when it comes to stainless and chrome, the better the purge the better. tape is like gas, your gonna go through it. the "best" tape I have seen is that neon green stuff.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-09-2009 01:56
Stringer,
  You do not mention what material you are working with. I will just comment about SS. The use of duct tape on SS is detrimental to the base metal. Chloride content , I believe. I am not sure about CS, but if it is melting as your welding, it most likely is contaminating the weld.

http://www.cob-industries.com/backingtape.htm

Here is a link that came up pretty quick for weld backing tape. You can do a search and see if there is something better suited to your needs.

jrw159
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 03-09-2009 03:19
Thanks for the tips. I'm unfamiliar with the neon green tape, but I'll look for that, and I'll try the aluminum foil, and I'll also buy some of that backing tape although I won't be using it as backing tape. If it leaves no residue then I'm on board with that. And no, I'm not contaminating my welds, nor am I using duct tape. But the masking tape residue is cooked on the outside of the pipe and I can't remove it with laquer thinner or wire brushing. It's just ugly and I want the best looking product I can produce.
I wish I could figure out some sort of stainless or aluminum band (maybe 26 or 28 guage) that would have slots and a way of clamping over the joint. I'm tired of little pieces of tape sticking to my gloves and turning the work area into a Martha Stewart show.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-09-2009 04:33
Stringer,
  My bad, I see clearly that you said masking tape. However, this does not change anything concerning SS and high chloride issues. And if it is melting into the weld area, it is effecting the weld. If this is not a pressure critical part or load bearing, then there are no worries. Also, if it is away from the HAZ you should have no issues.

jrw159
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 03-09-2009 12:16
I think all tapes are in the HAZ; one of the reasons I'm looking for a mechanical solution.
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 03-23-2009 14:01
The same SS looking tape that Insulators use works great and is on most projects. I have some mfg. by COMPAC.

Good Luck
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 03-10-2009 10:03
We use the stainless portion of a no hub band used for cast iron pluming they are made of stainless and you can cut window in them and they will also aid in fit up.

I will try and find a link for you and send picture.
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 03-11-2009 01:33
3M high temp specialty tapes. I think its considered an electrical tape and can be bought in 1 1/2" and 2" widths. It looks like fiberglass and you can weld right up on to it and it will not leave any residue even after it burns(which takes alot of heat). We are using it now on all the chrome and stainless at a new powerhouse. Someone also makes a high temp mylar tape which works pretty good I never looked at the manufacturer but it's also indestructable. You get what you pay for in purge dams and tapes.
Parent - - By danny midlash Date 03-11-2009 21:10
I weld Titanium, hastaloy, stainless, duplex, zirconium, all high pressure. The only tape that I use and recomend to all of my clients is Heat tape. The resin burns it does not melt, thefore no contamination. The Tape is made by 3M and many other manufactures. It really is the best.
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 03-21-2009 01:34
I agree with Danny I have been using the 3M heat tape I think we got it from Granger.  Worked beatifully on Inconel no residue and it could hold up to getting the material very hot without peeling off.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Masking tape for Tig is a PIA - favorite alternatives?