Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certifying students in vocational class
- - By mikerowe Date 03-09-2009 04:19
Is it OK for an instructor who is a CWI to certify his own students in his welding class?
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 03-09-2009 10:39
If they meet the code requirements, why not?

Keith
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-09-2009 12:51
X2...   It will show future employers that they won't be wasting money on bringing one of your guys in to test for them.  It will make the instructor look good at the same time because he can place his students into jobs right away.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-09-2009 12:52
I'm with Kieth here,

As long as you can inspect the student work in compliance with what ever code your using you may prepare a welder performance qualification test report stating (certifying) what was accomplished on the test.

All of the AWS codes (D1.1, D1.2, D1.6 etc.) provide sample reports in the Annex that can be used as a template.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-09-2009 15:01
The instructor does not even need to be a CWI. However with a CWI one does establish documentation of a certain minimum level of ability.

Here is a sample of one I will do when my students can meet that requirement and I decide to test them.
Attachment: ASMEWPQ00002.pdf (43k)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-09-2009 15:22
"Goldenarm & Newglasses"

>snort<

Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-09-2009 18:03
Gonnadragup, Fromhere U.S.A. LOL  Grinditout Ave.  Good stuff Gerald!!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-09-2009 18:19
That town Gonnadragup was named after a guy I worked with who on the last job (prior to getting to the one I worked with him on)...

1) never had a bad shot, (except for those few times when companies made him use bad gas, wire, base metal, or unstable electrical current )
2) was told by the QC that was one of the slickest he'd ever seen
3) Never busted a test (except for those items noted in # 1 and a run in with an inspector that actually knew what the code said)
4) Was leaving the current job just as soon as he got them out of a hole and got the RT percentage up.

His cousin IMa Goldenarm was single handedly responsible for making 1 CS 6" pipe weld in an 8 hour shift. he could have done it faster but there was a shortage of new cardboard on the job and he was having a hard time finding a good spot to kneel down NEAR THE JACKSTANDS ! Not to mention the guy that tacked it up on the prior shift forgot to wire brush his tacks after feathering them down.

Yall have a good one.

Gerald
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certifying students in vocational class