Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Rod oven required?
- - By - Date 06-07-2000 17:41
Using SMAW exclusively (flux cored, and hard wire), and all wire is purchased and stored in it's factory-sealed condition until it is used, are rod ovens required for certification? Specifically AISC Quality Certification.
Thank you.
Parent - By R. Johnson (**) Date 06-08-2000 13:34
I am not sure what you mean by "wire", SMAW is a "stick" rod and we usually do not refer to it as "wire". Anyway to answer your question, you will only need a storage oven if you are using low-hydrogen electrodes (i.e. E7018, E7015, E7016). From a practical standpoint I have found it extremely difficult to consume a 50 pound box of rods within the allowable exposure time limits, and as your tensile strength goes up your allowable time goes down (i.e. E11018 has only a 30 minute limit).
The other problem is that once you exceed the exposure time limit, low-hydrogen electrode can only be rebaked once. AND the holding oven usually does not operate at high enough of a temperature to rebake the rods.
The next problem is after they have been rebaked, how do you identify which rods have been rebaked and therefore cannot be rebaked again.
I would suggest you think through your filler metal rod storage and usuage. There are many issues that have to be considered and some have large economic impacts.
AND finally, YES the AISC will be looking for storage oven if you are using low-hydrogen electrodes.
Parent - - By jwinmars (*) Date 06-14-2000 10:17
You are speaking about two different processes. First -SMAW (shielded metal arc welding) does not use flux cored and hard wire. SMAW uses a covered electrode. The reference to flux cored and hard wire leads me to beleive you are actually using a GMAW (gas metal arc welding) process. In GMAW, most codes do not require a "rod oven". Cleanliness of the material may be assured by covering the spools when not in use. Additionally, Flux cored wire can be susceptable to moisture contamination due to the seam. Care should be taken to not expose the spool of wire to high moisture conditions.
Parent - By wighog (*) Date 02-24-2001 17:05
How long can low-hydrogen electrodes remain in heated ovens e.g. years? Is there any written word that states how old the electrodes can be after being placed in heated ovens.Do they spoil over time, in other words?
Thanks, WPW
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Rod oven required?