Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Fillet weld size and GMAW
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-10-2009 15:03
I know this question has come up before but here we go again.

I'm looking for a chart that provides the optimum/maximum fillet weld sizes for solid wire GMAW and MCAW per a given wire diameter.  Both .035 and .045

How big a weld can be made without sidewall fusion issues, whipping, backhand etc?

Have a local player making Gigantic, whipped spray transfer fillets with solid wire and Metal core.. Want some text to back me up and help guide...

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 03-10-2009 15:43
Lawrence, if the work is to D1.1 then table 3.7 should be helpful, if the WPS is pre-qualified. if the welds are produced per a PQR that has everything in order....than there might not be anything that can be done. as far as optimum, i think that would depend on a few variables like material grade, thickness,etc. i searched through Ed Craig's book GMAW & FCAW welding parameters, with no luck on electrode dia. to optimum fillet weld size sort of info. i'm sure you have already looked in the places i mentioned. tryin to help.

JJ
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-10-2009 16:47
Yep,

These folks have no code to constrain them at this point (though I expect D1.1 will be comming one day, may that day be soon)

I found one small mention in the "Certified Welding Supervisor Manual for Quality and productivity Improvement"

It suggests 5/8" maximum for a single pass when making groove welds and has an Illustration of both fillets and grooves.(Fig. 4.57) but it's not compelling for fillets.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-10-2009 17:27
L,
Have you tried to prove the weld is sound mechanically?(even though you don't like the wide weave) Break test? Macro etch?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-10-2009 17:31
Mountainman!

Somehow I overlooked table 3.7  in D1.1.. 

That is a good perspective to start with...  If you consider that a 3/8" horizontal fillet is maximim for even FCAW with a 3/32 electrode than horizontal fillets in excess of 1/2" with 045 and spray transfer appears a bit excessive.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-10-2009 17:36
Also look at paragraph 3.7.3.2 in D1.1 for single pass fillets(5/16" for GMAW)
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-10-2009 19:56
So basically right off the bat they are out of the prequalified ranges of D1.1 and must qualify there single pass weld sizes by testing if and when they abide to D1.1.  Bring some plate down there and have them run a few fillets for ya.  Put them in a break press and smash them till they break and inspect.  Macros are always a crowd pleaser to when it comes to showing someone they're doing something wrong. ;-)  2F fillets are a killer with metal core or spray and trying to run a big single pass fillet.  The bottom leg roles on ya almost every time and gives you some nice lack of fusion about an 1/8" in from the toe.  I had this prob with my welders and had to show them.  They could not run consistent 2F 3/8" fillets so they now have to do 3 passes.  .062 metal core wire helped out a bunch, but we're on 1/2" and thicker material.  You also have to use some manipulation to keep the multen puddle pushed up where you want it to be.  Gravity is a killer on big 2F singlepass welds.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Fillet weld size and GMAW