Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / inverter welding machines
- - By Chris Rose Date 01-19-2002 05:17
Is anyone in education/training using inverter type welding machines, specifically in secondary and post-secondary facilities? I am planning on upgrading the equipment in my program and I am looking at the Miller XMT 456 as the power source. I have no direct knowledge about this particular piece of equipment. I have seen and used the Lincoln inverter V350 Pro and I was very impressed with it. I am a die-hard Miller fan though, and I would like the extra current output of the XMT 456 over the V350 Pro. However, I have been told of some mechanical problems a local company is having with their XMT 456 and I was wondering if this was an isolated problem or something inherent in the Miller inverter line?
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 01-19-2002 17:47
CR,
A few years back I purchased 2 - Dimension 452's, 2 - Phoenix 456's (CC/CV) and 2 - XMT 304's (CC/CV). The equipment themselves are excellent welding power sources. The problem I encountered is that the welders refuse to take advantage of the pulsing on the inverters. The Phoenix and Dimension machines were used in a mechanized environment. The XMT's are used on the floor which get moved and used for different applications.

It seems the welders don't think it's welding unless it's making all the noise they are accustomed to hearing when using GMAW-P. They are constantly changing the parameters for procedures we qualified using pulsed MIG. I know there are opinions about the use of pulsing, but I have found it to be ideal for "Architecturally Exposed Structural Steel", or AESS. One advantage is that there is no post weld cleaning. Zero spatter. The ability to use spray arc in all positions. Less smoke during welding. Reduced heat input. Many adavantages with inverters.

We have had problems with the Phoenix and XMT's. Some were never resolved. We replaced the gun on one XMT about 4-5 times. Finally switched gun models to the newer generation of Bernard. Very ergonomic compared to conventional welding guns.

I have also heard that these machines had their problems. I was also told by a friend who used to be with Miller that the inverters did not "like" to be used for CAC-A even though the machine's are rated for this process. Hmmm. The 60M feeders seem to work well also (used for pulsed applications). On the other hand, when all the inverter machines were in use. I set up one of the Dimensions for spray arc (1F and 2F positions) and could accompish the same welds, but was limited by position.

I think the current technology in welding equipment is an important tool in training. The students need to learn there is life beyond the transformer. I'll also be honest about the customer service from the manufacturer: not very good. If you ask about basic, fundamental problems they can help, but beyond that your on your own. It is also my opinion that if the features of an inverter are not utilized, then why spend the extra money when a transformer will suffice?

Don't buy the latest and greatest if you do not plan to take advantage of it's capabilities unless you just plain like having expensive toys or are limited by line (primary) power.
Parent - - By Chris Rose Date 01-21-2002 02:19
Thanks for the input DGXL. How about the Lincoln line? Do you have any familiarity with their 350 Pro?

By the way, I too heard about the technical service from Miller and I was disappointed to hear that it wasn’t “up to snuff”.
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 01-22-2002 18:40
If you are looking for the latest and greatest in welding technology, look at the V-350 Pro 'advanced process model'. Lincoln has been producing some outstanding equipment that is software based...and upgradable!! when it comes time to upgrade your equipment, you purchase (or borrow) the software and download it into the equipment....a lot cheaper than purchasing new equipment.... I have used the V-350 Pro and I have to say, what a machine! Go see your Lincoln distributor before you make a decision, and ask to see all of the advantages of the advanced process panel option on the V-350 Pro.
Parent - - By Mike Brace (**) Date 01-21-2002 12:55
Chris: I would be interested in hearing what problems you have heard about Miller Service. I would also be glad to answer any questions and concerns that you may have about Miller products. Call me at 920-735-4558
Parent - - By dasimonds (**) Date 01-21-2002 13:34
Mike,
We've been using the XMT 304 CC/CV machine for a while now. What an excellent machine! The only drawback to exceptional versatility is the lack of AC for GTAW Al. This is the only factor that would keep me from purchasing one for home. Other than that, I love the portability and versatility of those little babies. I don't know if Lincoln has anything comparable to the XMT 304, as we don't have anything along this line made by Lincoln.
Dale Simonds
Parent - By Mike Brace (**) Date 01-22-2002 12:46
Dale: At the present time no one makes an inverter based machine that is AC/DC CC/CV. But you can bet that technology will change.
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 01-22-2002 18:11
Had any trouble with your 304s overheating? We had to yank ours off the floor due to this problem. Just couldnt keep up with our demands. Replaced them with 456s and they work great. The 304s are nice little welders but not quite beafy enough (also only a 60% duty cycle) for our needs.
Parent - By dasimonds (**) Date 01-26-2002 14:26
Kam,
I can't say I've seen one overheat yet. We always run on a 3 phase power supply. I've done some pretty hardcore FCAW with the 304's, and I haven't personally seen any problems with them, as of yet.

It could be due to the fact of the construction environment in which we employ them. It's not like a permanent production facility. It is hard to shutdown a machine with a 60% duty cycle in this environment.

I know our test shop utilizes 304's. But again, it is a testing situation, and it is very doubtful that someone will overheat the machines on a coupon.

Perhaps in a shop situation, things would be different.

Hope this helps

Dale Simonds
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-22-2002 20:01
Chris,

When you upgrade don't throw away the old stuff too quickly!

Here is a link to a website with more information for free than you can prolly read in a week. You will find frank and candid evaluations of power sources and reams of data on process control given by an expert with NO CORPERATE TIES. Not only will you find expert advice on of the latest technology, you will also discover the proper applications for the hardware. Many of today's biggest producers have learned and are demonstrating that in many cases the durability and practicality of old fashioned powersources can add real-time production value far beyond what the latest bells and whistles can provide.

I've personally audited some of Ed Craig's lectures and I'm a believer.

As an educator I feel strongly that mastery of basic powersources and the importance of attention to process control must be the foundation of high tech training.

http://weldreality.com/

Lawrence
Parent - - By JINX (*) Date 02-01-2002 21:16
Chris
I agree with Lawrence, don't discard you old power sources yet. In my travels to manufacturing facilities conducting welder training and testing programs, I am still surprised at how many experience welders are not familiar with the various transfer modes, and how to set the parameters. Pulse transfer mode has it advantages, but for everyday type fabrication travel speed can be slower and decrease production. However if pulse is utilized for the proper application, the units will pay for themself. I have used several Miller units with the 60M series microprocessor, and they all had great arc characteristics. Experienced little to no wire feed problems, and the microprocessor was user friendly. In closing I would also recommend Ed Craig's web site, as well as his books on the subject. And yes buy a unit or two or three!
Parent - By don (**) Date 02-02-2002 01:05
Chris,
I too would agree with the above statement. Its easy to get sold a bill of goods by salesmen in this industry but in training one must ask;
1) what is most commonly used in industry. For GMAW/FCAW its a basic three phase machine which can handle spray arc and of course short circuit.
2) how can I get the most bang for my buck. The above machine is the answer.
We have a couple of expensive pulsed machines in our school but when the local businesses set up training in our facility they want thier welders trained on setting short circuit parameters correctly, and spray arc parameters correctly, various gasses, and wire electrodes (solid core,metal core and flux core.) I have never had one ask me to train welders in pulsed. Its fun to play with and I do use it for out of position welds on metals above 3/16" and GMAW aluminum. Good luck!
Just my opinion.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / inverter welding machines