Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME questions
- - By don (**) Date 01-19-2002 20:35
Been spending some time with the ASME section IX book. (mainly in relation to GMAW processes on large tanks > 6' diameter. Would appreciate feedback from you pro's to see if I am doing ok.
1) A WPS provides direction on making welds according to code.
2) A PQR documents what occurred during the welding test and results.
3) The manufacturer is responsible for welder certification and ensuring products are manufactured to the code but can send the test to a certified facility for testing. The welder can not take the test at another facility but the test can be sent off to be examined.
4) The manufacturer must keep records of welder certifications, testing.
5) As long as a certified welder uses the procedure in a six month time period he does not need to recertify. This should be documented.
6) As long as a welder certifies on a groove weld he is certified for the corresponding fillet weld(s)
7) If a welder certifies in the 4G position, he is certified in 1G,2G,3G and 4G and the corresponding F positions.
8) A welder must recertify if essential variables are altered, but does not need to for an alteration in nonessential variables in production.
9) Testing should be done using the same joint configuration, and weldment shape and essentila variables.
10) QW-403.2 states the max. thickness qualified is the thickness of the test coupon, however, I see in QW-452 that 3/8" coupon test qualifies for 2t which would be 3/4". I know I am missing something here.
11) If a welder qualifies using 92/8 and changes to 85/15 is requalification needed?
12) If a welder qualifies using .045 metal core and changes to .035
solid core is requalification needed?
13) A company may test using QW 451.1 OR 451.2 for groove welds, and what about 452.1 and(or) 452.2 are both or all neccessary. How does one know which procedure(s) to use?
14) QW 461.9 allows plate to be used when qualifying pipe/tank >24" diameter. If a welder qualifies in 2G,3G and 4G they are qualified for 1-4G and 1-4F welds.
15) QW 463.1 (a,b and c) and 463.2 (a,b and c). Can one use (either, or) or are they for different processes?
Thanks in advance for your "sage" advice!
Parent - By - Date 01-21-2002 18:07
Rather a lot of questions!

Because I do not have my ASME IX with me, (I answer these questions from home.) I am not going to try and answer all your questions. I will however address a couple of issues:

1)The WPS is there to give guidance to the welder. This guidance is the parameters within which the welder must remain to in fact still perform a qualified weld.
2)Correct
3)Mostly correct, but the welder is allowed to perform the weld at another facility, as long as s/he is performing the test under the SUPERVISION of his/her organization.
4)Correct
5)WRONG - A welder is NOT qualified to a particular procedure. He is qualified within the WELDER variables for the particular process. This means that a welder can weld the test piece following WPS 1 and be qualified to also weld to WPS 2, 10, 11 and 12. By the same token, just because a welder followed WPS 1 when welding the test piece, it does not mean that he is allowed to weld WPS 1 under all circumstances. The whole 6 month thing is actually tied to the PROCESS, not the procedure.
6)Pretty much correct.
8)See answer to question 5. Welders (personnel) only have "essential" variables. When the production weld requires performing a weld that has any variable outside that qualified by the welder qualification, re-qualification is required. The procedure variables whether essential or non-essential is irrelevant.
9)I don't quite understand your question here. The bottom line is that you are qualified for the essential variables within the ranges as specified in the code. Usually, for instance, joint preperation and configuration is not an essential variable. (e.g. Qualifying a single V prep. also qualifies a double V prep. or J prep. etc.)

Hope somebody with a code at hand can answer your other questions.

Regards
Niekie Jooste

Parent - By grayseal (*) Date 01-29-2002 14:58
don,

I will piggyback my reply on Niekie 2 to save time.
1). Agree
2). Also agree. All essential variables must be recorded
3). Agree
4). Agree, but technically the welders are qualified.
5). Agree, but there is another factor. If there is a specific reason to question the welder's ability to make welds that meet the specification, the qualification can be revoked. Also, a welder continuation log is required.
6). Agree
7). Wrong - 4G qualifies for 1G, 4G, 1F, 2F, and 4F with pipe diameter limitations. See QW-461.9
8). Agree
9). Agree
10). QW-403.3 is not an essential variable for GMAW performance qualification. See QW-355
11). No, shielding gas mixture is not an essential variable for GMAW performance qualification. However, it is an essential variable for a WPS.
12). Requalification is required if the F number of the filler metal changes.
13). The difference here is whether you prefer to do trasnverse or longitudinal testing.
14). Qualifying on plate in the 2G, 3G, and 4G positions qualifies the welder in all positions for plate and pipe over 24" OD. Also qualifies for 1G and 2G for pipe less than or equal to 24" OD down to 2 7/8" OD. Also qualifies for all positions of fillet welds on plate and pipe.
15). Any one test plate configuration may be used with limits on thickness.

good luck,
grayseal
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-30-2002 11:04
Heres my take

1) The wps is a "guide" for making welds to meet codes referencing ASME sec IX as the code for qualifying welding procedures. Just because the WPS is in accordance with the requirements of ASME Sec IX it does not always meet the requirements of the code of construction.

For example look at the requirements for ommision or deletion of backing for GTAW or SMAW in sec IX then look in ASME Sec I or VII for welding requirements. So 1 is true but with some additions.

2) Yes. That is correct
3)Yes to the first part. No to the second. The location of the test doesn't matter. The test is to be supervised by the manufacturer
4) If you mean like test report from the lab or the RT film. Not required to maintain. If you mean the QW 484 or equivelent. Yes
5)The welder has to use a process but not always the process he is maintaining. If I qualify with GTAW and SMAW on a given day and only use smaw for 6 mos. My GTAW certification is maintatined. See QW 322.1(a)(1)
6)Yes
7)No.
8) The only variables that could change requiring a welder to retest are those related to performance qualification only. The term essential/non-essential is in reference to WPS qualification. WPS qualification is completely seperate from performance qualification. A welder is certified to work withing the limits for performance qualification. A procedure can list ranges or variables that are within but extend beyond the range of the welders qualification. That welder is still qualified too weld with that procedure within the limits of his performance qualification.
9)Should (Yes) Must (No)
10)QW 403.2 is not referred to for procedure or performance qualification for gmaw.
11)no
12)no
13)Either or
14)yes
15)either/or. Side bends are usually used for thicker materials.

Have a nice one

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/
Parent - By don (**) Date 01-31-2002 21:47
Thanks , I knew you guys would know this stuff like the back of your hand!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME questions