Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / No weld size or depth of bevel = CJP!!!!
- - By david bean (**) Date 03-16-2009 16:39
Hey guys,
So according to AWS A2.4  for groove welds, omitting the weld size and depth of bevel from  the welding symbol reguires a CJP for single groove welds and double grooves having symmetrical joint geometry. But i what if they give you a root opening???   I would say this would still be a CJP, because the depth of bevel and weld size are omitted! However my coleages disagree!  Am i missing something??? please help!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-16-2009 17:10
I would agree with your interpretation of the symbol as described. It sounds like someone didn't know what the symbol stood for, so....they just copied it from the engineer's drawing just like they saw it, rather than placing the correct symbol and subsequent information on the welding symbol.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-17-2009 10:16
I agree and I get this all the time as well, not so much with a root opening, but just the symbol.  When I do it's a full penetration weld unless they tell me otherwise just like in 2.4. 
Detailers and fitters don't realize the how important it is to completly give us all the correct information, it makes a world of a differance.
Chris
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-17-2009 12:58
David,
  I would agree as well.

jrw159
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / No weld size or depth of bevel = CJP!!!!