Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Speaking another language?
- - By OBrien (***) Date 03-17-2009 02:09
Does anyone speak more than one language?  That is that was not brought up with more than one language being spoken around them.  I am looking at that rosetta stone thats on the tv advertisements and thinking it would be nice if I had a clue what some of the people around me are saying half the time?  Anyone tried it?
Parent - By stkwldr (**) Date 03-17-2009 02:47
I speak English and Spanish. Both languages taught by my parents, not rosetta stone or anything of the sort.
What you will find out about learning another language from rosetta or any other product, is that it will teach you proper words/sayings.  If you are in a construction enviorment, these products will not help you that much.  Granted, learning another language is probably a great idea anyhow.

rs
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-17-2009 03:00
I took tons of foreign languages back in high school.  The problem that I found is that the learning languages "by the book" it is teaching you the proper forms of the language and not the common vernacular.  I think that it's not a bad thing to learn a language "properly" then picking up the vernacular on the streets.  Rosetta stone and other programs like it teach in a methodical way that makes it easier to learn, but if I'm not mistaken Rosetta can get pretty expensive.  But its been around for years and is probably worth the money.  I have always enjoyed learning about other languages and peoples.  I have thought about getting Rosetta to learn Russian.

Also you might try you local library.  Sometimes they have different language programs that you could borrow to see if you like them or even like that language as much as you thought.  That could save some money until you pinpoint what method, program or language will work for you.

Buena suerte!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-17-2009 03:30
A person Who speaks 3 languages is trilingual.
A person Who speaks 2 languages is bilingual.
A person Who speaks 1 language is an American. :-)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-17-2009 04:07
I just went to the Rosetta Stone site.  Apparantly they have an online trial of their Irish language program.  Damn interesting and almost addictive program.  With a name like O'brien it might be a good demo to see if you like the software.  Try it before you buy it.

Slan
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-17-2009 04:13
I became "somewhat" fluent in spanish while living in Mexico, studied Russian in High School and now, living in Kazakhstan, I get to try little bits and piece of Russian and Kazakhi.  Oh yeah, will be immigrating to New Zealand so I'll get to learn a variation of english! (joke).
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-17-2009 04:30
You might pick up some Maori in NZ too.  You're the man.  I wanna be like you IF I grow up.  :-)
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 03-18-2009 03:04
interesting, "mouya dievoushka" is ukranian but she always calls me her "durak".
I picked up the Russian version of Rosetta stone. In my opinion it's helpful and it will help you increase your vocabulary and put pictures to the words (which helped me greatly), But it won't do a good job of teaching you grammar and syntax.  I had the advantage of having a native speaker and her family and in my opinion nothing works better or faster than immersion and unless you continue to use the language you'll find yourself loosing vocabulary.

when I'm done with school full time I plan on taking some more russian classes and working my way towards fluency.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 03-18-2009 02:23
Coincidentally, last night I visited RS web site and took the Turkey trial program. <(That's a big slow soft ball for somebody) I knew a couple hundred words in Spanish but can't put them into sentences nor can I understand when they speak so fast. I do remember the word estupido come up a lot.
Looks like a good program but kind of expensive for the entire kit. I am considering it as well, before I get too old to learn it. Actually learning a language if great exercise for the brain.
I checked out ebay and craigs list. Looks like there are bootleg copies out there. Who'd a thunk it? I don't want to get stuck with one of those. Making time to really learn it would be tough. Would have to greatly reduce time on this forum. OK enough cheering.

But really Bryon I want to learn another language to make our president proud :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jy_QOm2sbQ        (.40sec)
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-18-2009 03:38
C'est tres bon pour moi, parc'que je puex parler un peut de francais aussi.  C'est pourquoi le president et moi son bons amies.  Le LOL.  :-)
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-17-2009 11:41
I think it's worth doing. Rosetta stone works as well. If you want to learn languages, I suggest you take a page from the U.N.
http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/examin/languageexam.htm
You will see mentioned there the official languages of the UN
Quote from that page:
"Which languages do you service?

The United Nations has language services for all 6 official languages, which are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish. "

If you are going to learn another language, it would be a good idea to learn one of them.
Parent - - By Revjsnizzle (**) Date 03-17-2009 12:05
I speak Dutch, learned it while I was living over there, not that useful back in the states.  It's always funny at the Zoo or stores around Dallas, when ever I hear someone speaking dutch I go into stalker mode and wait for a good oppurtunity to talk to them.....it's good times.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-17-2009 22:11
I saw a Dutch magazine at the hospital today.  It had a hot chick on the front, so naturally I picked it up.  I turned the pages to the index to see who the bird was and couldn't read a damn thing that was there.  :-)
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 03-17-2009 15:50
O'Brien,
I suppose a "Happy St. Paddy's Day" is in order.  I speak Italian fluently, but I lived there for almost 9 years and it was in an area where little English is spoken.  Italian is not widely spoken in other places in the world, but it has made me a better communicator in general.  I have no idea about the effectiveness of courses like Rosetta Stone.  It does have a great name though.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 03-17-2009 16:47
I know about enough Spanish (Mexican dialect) to order a taco in Cabo san Lucas during spring break.  :)
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 03-17-2009 19:44
Well I looked into it and tried that trial for a while and lets say I'll stick to english.  If I had alot more time it might be able to help me out, but with me I would need to put quite a few hours into it.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-17-2009 20:43
I got obsessed with the Irish last night.  I found it to be pretty easy, but I pick up on languages easy.  The problem that I had is that it didn't have any English definitions to the phrases, so I had to figure it out.  If all of Rosetta Stones programs are like that I would probably get a dictionary to go with it also, unless they include some books with the software.  But for the amount they want for the program they should send a native speaker to live with you to help out.  :-)
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 03-17-2009 21:50
I agree on the needing of books to tell you what your saying but if you think of it when you learn to talk you pick it up through seeing something and a parent saying what it is so it actually makes more sense to teach it that way where some languages don't have an english equalivent.  But this is comming from a guy who almost never passed an english class lol.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-17-2009 22:16
I had problem with English classes.  I always thought it was retarded how it was taught, past participles and other sh*t like that.  IMO its too proper english.  Shee no body be talkin like that anyways xept round fancy places and such.  :-)
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 03-18-2009 00:43
There ain't no way they letting my beat red neck and dirty clothes in those places. lol
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-28-2009 21:27
I've been known to work a 16 in a boiler and visit a 5 star just for SH*Ts and giggles. The looks on their faces are golden. "Sir! you must have a ... (sneering look) tie."
I went to one in Ktown with this in mind putting a tie over my ash ridden coveralls. I thought the lady at the desk was going to faint. Not to mention the ash stains on that nice pretty white carpet. Why they just can't have that can they? Needless to say I was sent packing to my alternate haunt of Waffle House. I never have been turned down for service there except once due to a fist fight. (mostly my fault anyway)

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-28-2009 20:05
Bryon are you talking about Gaelic? I was wondering what you would have to study to learn Irish? Kinda like learing British. Unless of course you are in fact talking about Gaelic. Thought it was funny in your first post when you said something about learning Irish and I thought you were being a smart az. LoL! But when you repeated I wondered?
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-28-2009 21:11
Sorry for the confusion.  No it is Gaelic.  But the Rosetta Stone is IRISH GAELIC as opposed to Scottish Gaelic.  I thought it would be easier for the readers if we just left it as Irish. 
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-17-2009 20:53
I have the Rosetta Stone "Spanish" It does come with work books, study guides and tests. I think it is a pretty good thing, I just have not really dedicated myself to it, so right now it is not working because I am failing to make it work. LOL

jrw159
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 03-17-2009 21:44
todas lo que sé son palabras como " " de la puta, de la perra y del a55hole; :)
Parent - By OBrien (***) Date 03-17-2009 21:47
Thats one way to keep messages private lol.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-18-2009 00:18
LOL, I do not know much more than that, but I can get a cold beer, a hot meal, and a bed, and sometimes, a fine seniorita to provide me with it. LOL
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 03-29-2009 21:05
I like the 'Drive Time' Spanish CD's I bought from Amazon. People in traffic think I'm crazy, of course.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-29-2009 23:45
Anything wrong with English ? It has seem to serve its purpose just fine all these years (47) of my life. Here's an Idea...Let's convert this forum to the Chinese language and see how long it last. Anyone read or write or TYPE Chinese ?
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 03-30-2009 00:32
I think you know more spanish than you are leading on to know.  Don't forget you also speak 'welder'.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-30-2009 01:25
I speak ALOT of welder. I see the bigger benefit is speaking English. If all employers would follow one simple rule (I follow it ) Here it is. If you dont speak English (or Welder) YOU DONT WORK HERE ! Problem solved ! No more need to be Bilingual.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-31-2009 20:31
Well it is not Chinese, but I learned a little Japanese today. LOL

jrw159
Attachment: img-331153545.pdf (31k)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-31-2009 21:22
Ah so, fruk yu tu!  :-)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-31-2009 22:21
Ah so, I see you see. :-)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-30-2009 00:32
Absolutly nothing wrong with english. But lets look at it realistically. In the world we live in it is very benificial to know how to speak more than one language. Sometimes more than two. Now of course I speak english as a first language rather than a second, but I do understand the benifits of speaking and understanding more than one language.

Also it is very benificial in interrogation situations to know what is being said by the suspect.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-30-2009 01:04
The main thing wrong with English is that its not phonetic like Spanish and Italian.  :-)
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-30-2009 01:29
HUKT ON FONIKS WERKT FER ME !!! OR WAS THAT EBONICS ?......................NEVERMIND
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-30-2009 13:34
LOL, new upcoming version: Rosetta Stone Ebonics.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 03-30-2009 13:59
Nice.  I just bought the Redneck Rosetta Stone.  All it says is, "Git-r-dun".  :-)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-30-2009 14:44
LOl, I don't care who ya r, that theres sum funny chit. :-)
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 04-01-2009 01:22
Any kin to Annetta Stoned? She had some special voices.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Speaking another language?