Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Customer is always right! Damn the pro welder/inspector!
- - By 1fastguy (**) Date 03-17-2009 14:59
[deleted]
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-17-2009 15:52
If you are really performing work to AWS D1.1 then there is no need to worry about the customer rejecting work. First there is no limit on over sized welds. There are two issues that can restrict weld size. This would be heat input and accessibility (or allowing all parts to fit together). Undersized welds need to be within tolerances, I think this is - 1/16" for 10%. I have not come across your + or - 15% tolerance that you mentioned in the AWS inspection book? Do you have a reference? I would never accept that a customer would reject parts that were made to the applicable code. That is bad business. Maybe it's just me but you seem just as fuzzy in your understanding as well.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 03-17-2009 16:39
could be a customer spec on weld sizes, we get quite a few jobs where welds cannot be undersize at all, and cannot be over 1/8" large on fillets!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Customer is always right! Damn the pro welder/inspector!